1968 Air Cleaner Hood Clearance

JC Mustang

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2000
Layton, UT
OK my 289 is finally going to get its 4 barrel...I hope. I have a 1968 but I am going with an Autolite 4100 because I think they are better than the 4300's, but I still want to keep it "stock" to an extent. My Edelbrock Performer 289 is already bolted in, and it is apparently taller than the stock two barrel manifold because with manifold, carb spacer, carb and air cleaner (one of those chrome hipo jobs with a 3" filter) it is too tall. But just barely, I'm talking about 1/2 inch or so. Please help me with which of the following options would be the best route to go, or if any of them can (should) not be done. Any input, pros and cons for each option would be great.

I. Ditch carb spacer. Attach PCV valve something else, e.g. vacuum tree on back of manifold that is currently host to the A/T vacuum line, or somewhere else?

II. Acquire lowered air cleaner or shorter carb spacer. I kind of like this idea but I don't know where I can get either of these items, or indeed if they exist. Anyone know? I'm assuming the air filter itself is a pretty standard height and shouldn't be shortened?

III. Some other option? I probably won't consider any hood modifications or adjustable motor mounts.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Performer 289 intake on the 302 in my 67's with a matching carb. I have a 1' carb spacer (Phenolic) with an air cleaner that's probably 2-3" tall and I don't have any clearance issues. I'll go take a picture real quick and post it. I would make sure to use a phenolic spacer to keep your carb cool.

Here is a picture.

I'd look at getting a different air cleaner. The bottom part of mine is dished in, so the how assembly sits low. My air cleaner is the $15 chrome deal you get at Kragen Auto Parts or something similar.

Attachments

• IMG_18622.jpg
    IMG_18622.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 736
I bought the performer intake and 4v carb for my 302 with a 1 inch spacer.I fit tested everything earlier the spacer hasn't arrived yet but I used a piece of metal I had that was slighty wider than 1 inch to put between carb and intake and it appears mine is gonna fit with about an inch or 2 to spare.I'm hoping i'm right dont wanna have to do any modding.

I have a Performer 289 intake on the 302 in my 67's with a matching carb. I have a 1' carb spacer (Phenolic) with an air cleaner that's probably 2-3" tall and I don't have any clearance issues. I'll go take a picture real quick and post it. I would make sure to use a phenolic spacer to keep your carb cool.

Here is a picture.

I'd look at getting a different air cleaner. The bottom part of mine is dished in, so the how assembly sits low. My air cleaner is the $15 chrome deal you get at Kragen Auto Parts or something similar.

I have one those cleaners laying around so I guess if my cool looking one dont work I'll use it.

This is the one i bought.Assembled height is 2 1/2 inches so I believe it'll work out.

http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M9600K302 01

Here is what I have on my 65 and it clears the hood. Its got an Edelbrock intake and carb on a 302. I don't have a spacer though. It has a 7/8 drop base on it and a 3 inch filter. It also clears the electric choke. Your 68 should have more room than mine has.

K&N E-1650 - K&N Filtercharger Air Filters – SummitRacing.com

K&N 66-1401XP - K&N X-Stream Air Flow Top Plates – SummitRacing.com

K&N 85-3545 - K&N Air Filter Bases – SummitRacing.com

tx65coupe-albums-v8-conversion-completed-picture3330-100-0537.jpg

OK I'm having some trouble with the measurements here. I'm on summitracing.com, looking at this cleaner for example, and it says "dropped distance" 1 inch, which makes sense to me, this should be the distance that the air filter itself is lowered with respect to the top of the carburetor? But then there is also "net height from carb flange". Does this measure the height from the top of the carb to the highest point of the air cleaner, or the height from the bottom of the carb to the lowest point of the air cleaner? The first option doesn't really make sense to me because my current cleaner has a three inch filter, is not dropped, and the height from the top of the cleaner to where it mounts on the carb is 3 9/16", while this one is dropped 1" and has a taller "net height from flange". The second option doesn't make sense because how do they know how tall my carb is?