1970 Power Rack and Pinion Steering?

wickedmach1

Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
I am thinking about going back and replacing the standard steering setup on my 1970 Mach 1. I replaced all the components with new parts which include a Flaming River steering box, Flaming River ram cylinder, Flaming River control valve, tie rods, pitman arm, and Global West adjusting sleeves. I have driven a 1970 Mustang with a power rack and pinion and enjoyed the feel. My problem is I have never driven a 1970 with the stock steering setup. I know the my current setup will be better than original due to the new upgraded parts listed above, but how much better would the rack and pinion feel? I am looking at the Global West or TCP rack and pinions. My car will be for the street and will not be driven on a road race track. I am building a restomod and want to upgrade the car to make a more enjoyable ride. I don't want to spend the extra cash if it won't be much of a difference. I also know that the stock setup is prone for leaks as well. Any other pro's or con's? All you guys that have driven both setups and have actual expeirence driving the two, I would appreciate your opinions on this matter. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

no experience with a rack installed in an early car but i can tell you that the stock system feels kind of like a lincoln town car, soft and mushy. if you want a nice rack setup for a reasonable amount of money check out www.randallsrack.com it is similar in style to the TCP rack in the fact that it is a center take off rack that uses the stock tie-rods. he also has an optional rack that uses more modern rack and pinion style inner tie rods. everyone that has installed one of these racks has had nothing but good things to say about it. not sure if anyone here on stangnet has installed one but there are several people on the VMF that have.

by the way global west does not make a rack kit, just so you know.

I dont think Global West makes a Rack and pinion set up?

I have a TCP (manual) rack and pinion, I love it.
great instructions, great customer service, and tech help.
Instructions etc... on their website.