1971 Mach 1 429 steering box frame

good day everyone, I am a brand new member to your forum. I am trying to get my husbands 1971 Mach 1 on the road. The metal section which the Steering box was bolted to has rusted. My classic car mechanic has cut out a kleenex box size piece of metal and he is trying to source the piece through his contacts in North America. So far, no luck. If anyone knows of a used Mustang parts depot that has old 1971 Mustang parts or a remanufactured store that would carry sections of old 1971 frames, I would appreciate any leads you could provide. thank you for your help

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Never found any frame parts to buy right?
Generally, that part of the car frame will not be sold separately from a junkyard (it's the cars unibody)
It will not be sold from a Mustang specialty supplier like NPD either
Fabricate and weld in new metal is what you want to do
The subframes on those old 71-73 Mustangs were weak to begin with IMO
I would see negative camber numbers aligning them often due to the no export brace. (the subframe caves in)
So, weld in some new metal and stiffen it up a bit is what I'd do if it were mine

Never found any frame parts to buy right?
Generally, that part of the car frame will not be sold separately from a junkyard (it's the cars unibody)
It will not be sold from a Mustang specialty supplier like NPD either
Fabricate and weld in new metal is what you want to do
The subframes on those old 71-73 Mustangs were weak to begin with IMO
I would see negative camber numbers aligning them often due to the no export brace. (the subframe caves in)
So, weld in some new metal and stiffen it up a bit is what I'd do if it were mine
Thank you for your interest. The mechanic I am using recently found the piece for the steering box plate from a guy in Oregon. So it will be shipped in December some time. If things don't work out, we will try MotorCity Mustangs. I appreciate you reaching out ! thanks, Elaine