Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my old Lamborghini Urraco/ 901 series Porsche 911 gauges post from way back. The main issues for me are putting the critical user defined info where you want it, in the right font. Idiot lights, minor gauges, with others the heck out of it.

ce8e99e4d6ee5bce6b73e88a59306a97.jpg

Most US cars are designed for greatness in feature at the point of sale, not operation. GM has been simply the worst for gauge splatter. In terms of great control ergonomics, the cars most criticised were the most successfull operationally. If its designed for high speed and from Northern Itality, you can copy it ad hack, and be certain its got most of the stuff where you need it.

If it were me, I'd focus on "opertation critical zone" rpm, oil temp, oil pressure, battery and speed.

That means covering the speedo between 15 to 70 mph might be okay in italy, but not okay in the United Kingdom or heavily policed 62 mph areas in Australia. Small steering wheels cut off whole sections of gauges, and playing auto makers is often a case of do it twice Mike.

In which case, your better off just festooning the stuff where your most happy.

The Lamborghini instrumentation was designed for 155 to 175 mph along Italian to France Autoroutes by the late Bob Macdonald. British press bagged everyone of his creations has having ergonomic errors inexcusable in a car a tenth the price.

I will lament the death of the buck Rodgers gauge cluster....I liked Hughe McInnes' development dashboard on the Corvair Monza Turbo, where you slapped down as many air craft gauges you coud, and then set up a Super 8 camera where your little Friend sits.

Vale the 9 feature electronic gauge cluster. Summits supplier list still has a list and great depth of truly excellent stuff. They are the winners here.

But its 1976 all over again. The US indusrty bailed out the Ill fated Aston Martin Lagonda show car with its unrealiable British electronics. In went Silican Valey's finest parts to fix the f ups. The creation of great vehcile instrumentation systems is lagging because the suppliers aren't smart enough to make a user defined Heads up disply like the old 1950's studebaker's universally availiable glow in the dark display. I'd use an Ipad, and a bunch of screen dumps from on line OBDII applications, and keep the room for a list of General Motors and Mopar pink slip shut downs.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like my son's stupid ass dog. He licks EVERYTHING and just has to have your hand or arm in his mouth. He doesn't bite...just a little gnaw. He may be the 2nd most stupid dog I have ever been around. He barks at shadows and flies and tore down the blinds in my sons mom's apt chasing flies. The #1 stupid dog was a friend's when I was 7 or 8. Irish Setter which of course, they named RED. It would RUN INTO THE HOUSE...not inside, but against the side of the house chasing flies or wasps or whatever. Sometimes he would knock his own ass out and stagger around for 10 seconds then go right back to it.

I agree with @Davedacarpainter and like the gauge pod over the mirror. I also like your industrial themed idea of steel exhaust tubing on the dash next to the column. I also agree that on a N/A engine, once it is tuned the AFR gauge is not really necessary nor is a vacuum gauge unless you're trying to ultra mile.

Yeah,...I'm still here.

It takes forever now to do the stuff that needs to get done. Monday was supposed to be my day off, but it was also Memorial day. When you work in retail, Memorial Day negates days off.
This is the second monday in a row that I've had to work.

Today I decided to say fck that. I told the sales manager that I was going to take off the remainder of today.

He saw things my way.

I went straight downstairs, and cut, ground, welded, grinded, puttied, and sanded until I got the following:
IMAG0178_zps75vqnudb.jpg

IMAG0179_zpsf12ufl5f.jpg

This is all the farther I got however,............Building the gauge mount plate is gonna take a minute more.

Now that part is done too, but the actual gauge cut-outs are not done yet. Nor is the finish decision. This time around, I could not use the mesh that I did originally chose because you can see through it. And this time, you'll see too much.

So I had to use solid metal sheet.

Reactions: 1 users
Ding.

And the winners are.....

General karthief

and

RaggedGT got it.

Methinks.

Your lofting the gauges up and EXPANDing the housing.

the fall
the man whose head expanded

TMWHE.jpg

Nice work. Classical.

As has been said, "You won't find anything more ridiculous than this Nu-Profile Razor Unit, made with the highest British attention to the wrong detail"

Looks like the Remington Microscreen has been cut out.....

Carboard Cut outs always work.

Reactions: 1 users
I planned to use 16ga. steel as a backer, and that is what I thought I bought.
( at least the sticker said it was 16ga, and it looked thick enough)
After making the cutout template out of poster board, I transferred the template over to the steel. I got it rough cut, and as I was sanding it to shape, the vibration from the sander "shook" the two pieces apart.
I didn't have one 16ga piece, I had two pieces of 22 GA, that were being held together by a film of oil.
22 GA. is probably too thin to cut for the gauge holes W/O distortion, but I have a piece of steel that fits the opening perfectly. If I could find something to laminate on the front of it I might consider adding it. Alternatively, there is " carbon fiber look" vinyls out there that I could spray mount on the front face too. I plan to use the remaining mesh as a backer to give me something to screw the faceplate to. The fabric idea will make for a very tight fit, and will absolutely fill any minor gaps that I may have between the housing, and the face plate.

I could even cover the plate in the same leather that the housing is covered in too.
:chin

Reactions: 1 user
I planned to use 16ga. steel as a backer, and that is what I thought I bought.
( at least the sticker said it was 16ga, and it looked thick enough)
I got it rough cut, and as I was sanding it to shape, the vibration from the sander "shook" the two pieces apart.
I didn't have one 16ga piece, I had two pieces of 22 GA, that were being held together by a film of oil.
:chin

Hey, I bet you only paid for one piece of steel. Finders keepers...

Finally! I have a normal week end in front of me. (Well,,,,,,,"normal" for me means Sunday and Monday off, but nonetheless two days off in a row)

Despite that,I still had to give a large part of it to the wife, but I still managed 2-3 hours to myself. And in that amount of time, I was able to manage this:

IMAG0187_zpsfroerosx.jpg

Just "mocked upin this pic, I still have to remove it for final cleaning, and drilling the additional 5 holes that'll make up the two calibration buttons for the speedo and tach, and the other three being a r/l ts, and high beam indicator.
None of those holes are/were the right size. They all had to be massaged to size. Tomorrow Ill be able to finish it and mount it I think.

Then there'll be more pics of it lit.

Reactions: 8 users
Reall nice.

But I'll just have to lament the old 9 element Revolution Number Nine all singin' all dancin' Hal 9000 Juke Box.

Open the cargo bay Hal...

GM_MODIFIED.jpg

Shuck.....foomp!

Gone in a hail of liquid chrystal into the twilight zone.

Ah well. I really like how you arranged everything.

I like it Mike, a lot. Looks like it was always that shape. My only suggestion is using screws with smaller heads so they dont stand out as much. Very well may already be in your plan though, being that was mock up. Hope wiring them up goes smooth so we can see them working while driving soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.