Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I spent the better part of the day wiring the gauge set today. I do not have any small panel mount led's that will work as turn signal, and high beam indicator lights. So I figured that that was simply a matter of a trip to the auto parts store.

But Oreillys don't have nothin'.
Advance don't have nothin'.
Auto zone don't have nothin'.

and rounding them all out.....
Napa don't have nothin'.

None of these sorry assed parts stores have anything that isn't dedicated to a specific car unless it's in the aisle with the furry steering wheel covers, The bullet cap valve stem caps, or the Tazmanian Devil floormats. I even went to low voltage distributor clear on the other side of the city, but all he had was green and red...

And I don't want just red and green......after all It IS June,....Christmas is still 6 months away. I want blue for the high beam indicator, and green for the signals....

Dorman makes these things, You'd think that all of the AP stores would have them....
22144518_dcd_84911_pri_larg.jpg

And they do.........If you want to order them.

(If I'm ordering anything, it's coming from Summit)

And they have what I want, it just wont be here till tommorrow...and I'll be at work. So I plunged forward.

I ran into a question about how to configure the gauges (which are all completely configurable with internal dip switches) I needed to know what setting to use for the EDIS 6, ignition, and how to configure my speedo since none of the examples listed answered my questions. So I attempted to call NVU to get my questions answered.

So at 10 I started calling.
and at 10:15, and at 10:30, and at 11:15, and 11:30, and this went on at 15 minute intervals for 2 hours straight. I gave up and went to lunch.

When I got back, I started leaving "Hate voice mails", telling them that I hope that I do not end up regretting that I didn't choose Autometer instead of them.

On the third attempt at spitting snarling comments through the phone... a guy picks up.
I start ranting and he cuts me off...."What can I do to help you sir?"
"You can tell me the answer to 2 questions, and I'll let you get back to helping your other customers".

He cannot answer either of them. He's never heard of EDIS, and had no clue that you could hook up a laptop to a ECU via blue tooth.

I took his best guess, and called Steve. @a91what.
He answered the question directly and it appears to be working.

I temporarily put them in, and started the car.

Everything works.
IMAG0003_zpsv5mqbnpg.jpg

Clearly there is still a blindspot from hell. I made sure to put the two important gauges to the outside where they could be seen w/o craning around to see them, but when you do....
IMAG0004_zpsilq4pcxw.jpg

You have 72 pounds of oil pressure at 1300 RPM, and the system is charging at 14.5v's.
On the other side:
IMAG0005_zpsiccyb0cu.jpg

Well damn,........I can actually tell how much gas is in the tank for the first time since the Monster has been running.

What I end up doing with the AFR gauge is still YTD. I really like the ability to see what is going on there, but the red digital display is not really "in-sync" with the rest of the new display.
This on the other hand,
nvu-20191-01_ml.jpg

is only 99 bucks at Summit........I can live w/o the vacuum gauge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Tractor supply/Rural king or a Alabammy equivalent sells small round lights in a few different colors-might be what you are looking for
I already have the ones pictured coming raggedy.....Jeez!

Siting here thinkin'...

All I need to get this thing running now is that gauge....And in reality, I don't even need that. I can put it on the tires and start dickin' around with small trips if I was motivated.......

Reactions: 2 users
Correct, your setup will still send info to the laptop even without the gauge connected. Datalog short trip review rinse repeat. Maybe even a live session to get the idle set all choppy and :poo: (I'm thinking 800 idle)... ohhh cant wait.

Love the gauges Mike they look way better than i imagined

Here you go Mike, mount two of these babies (in green, of course) on each side of the steering wheel on the dash for turn signal indicators and get an extra blue one that you can mount up above your rear view mirror for the brights.
IMG_0838.JPG

BTW, I love, love, love those gauges! Totally btchn!

Correct, your setup will still send info to the laptop even without the gauge connected. Datalog short trip review rinse repeat. Maybe even a live session to get the idle set all choppy and :poo: (I'm thinking 800 idle)... ohhh cant wait.

Love the gauges Mike they look way better than i imagined
Yeah, I'd like that. Today during those photos the engine is running dead level w/o even as much as a hiccup. I have to admit that I expected it to give up the fact that there is over 230 degrees duration, and a buttload of overlap in this cam with respect to the idle now that the turbo is gone.

But there it is,...idling like a John Deere tractor..........rock-rock-rock-rock....

There is a definite idle crispness difference,..and the throttle response looks to be awesome..(Like meth fueled immediate throttle response crispness awesome)
so I'm really looking forward to being able to stomping on the gas from dead idle.....

And a marked significant lack of crankcase vapor.........yea me.

Reactions: 3 users
Just going over the differences in the monster between one year ago, and today...

It's quite a bit actually.

Starting recent and going backwards, there are 1. new gauges now.The brakes are upgraded. The old Booster would never support a "panic stop" style brake lock-up...the pedal was good, and was progressively applying the brakes, but it would bottom out before they would lock up. 2. Now there is a 95 Cobra MC.
3.The ITB's, along with their new see through hat. 4. -125 lb in reduced weight from the turbo, piping, medusa, the I/C, the water reservoir, and the old intake manifold.( and obviously the change from forced induction as a result)
4. Forged rods. 5. A fully ported head. 6. A complete bottom end rebuild. Which included 6 new sleeves, new, properly gapped rings, and new bearings.
And 7. A new Aeromotive Stealth 250 lph fuel system...which was the first thing I did after I started moving around after the surgery last year.
So quite a busy 9 months when you add it all up,......and here I thought it was taking forever with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: 4 users
IMHO (but idle speculation.....) It won't have lost half the power. With head mods like that (its been ported since the tear down) , and cams like that, He should be right on 350 hp without major sorting, which could be only 100 hp less than what he might have been getting before.

But you know Hot Fox, just my idle speculation.....coulda, woulda, shoulda....I wouldn't be supprised if it hasn't lost half the torque at certain points at 9 pounds boost though.

The old Log EFi intake would have taken off a lot of low to mid range torque, and pealed back a good amount of peak power at 5800 rpm despie the boost.

You can rest assured the Independent runner intake will be making at least as much horspower as it did on the BMW M3.

Mikes Volumetric Efficency Tables have improved a huge amount in the off idle to low end zone.

• Boring
Reactions: 2 users
So is this thing running and driving yet??? Video!
I PM'd steve. I'm going to put it on the ground on Sunday, and see if we/I can get the immediate start up portion of the tune fixed. My Fidle valve might not be letting in enough air, or that initial part of the map is too rich/lean at that engine temp.(I have to keep my foot on the pedal for the first 30 seconds after startup.)
Once it get a little temp in it, It idles too high too, but I cannot adjust that until I/we get the initial startup tweaked so that it runs at the same RPM that it does hot.

Once that is done I can drive it.

Reactions: 1 users
You've done a ton of work...especially considering the addition of the bionic knees!!! I'm not quite 50, have my real knees and it's painful for me to get out there and get up and down working on my junk. I've gotten to where I pretty much empty my toolbox and put the contents under the car within arms reach when I am working. I have even resulted in texting my wife to come out and bring me a tool, to avoid having to get out from under the car more than necessary!

You're going to get the Monster running and driving just in time for Tropical Rain Forest season! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.