Status
Not open for further replies.
** BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttt!!!!!

The following commentary has no pictoral content included. It contains zero usable tips and tricks that may be of benefit to anyone who bothers to read it. There may be inferences to debauchery and/or drunk talk, or drinking included, or it might not.
If you have a short attention span, or have an aversion to reading
click here.http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/1979-1995-fox-sn95-0-2-3l-general-talk.47/

It's Sunday. My day off was moved to Monday (from Wednesday) when they made the new schedule, so now I got two days off back to back again.

I'm thinkin' that's a Yea?:banana:

I rigged up a head band system for the Go-Pro wannabe camera using one of my old welding helmet headband inserts.
It looks so stupid when I'm wearin' it, the image of me doing it is probably viral video material in of itself. I look like I escaped the electric chair w/ the head electrode still strapped on my head. But I works,...You'll see what I see as I turn my head, so I'm excited to use it today.

I guess that a still of that menagerie will probably be included in today's pictorial,....along with Raggedy's @RaggedGT recommendation for a camera mount for the roof and body,...I now have a way to strap that dude safely for a ride along on both the inside and the outside of the car.

Can we have another Yea?:banana:

I got to talk w/ Steve @a91what before I do that today, there are still issues with the tune that I want to fix.
(actually,.I want him to fix it,...I'll just take credit for it) You know,..like the guy that has a mechanic/shop build his car for him then posts pics of the build and uses the word "We" when he updates what was done to the car.

i.e. "Here we are doing stuff that I can't, don't, or won't do"

I'm not saying that I do everything myself,..... Matter of fact there are things that I simply can't do no matter how hard I try....
I can't cut my own hair (what is left of it).
I can't remove and replace my own knees, or fix that damn dislocated 2nd toe that will eventually cripple me.
I can't speak Mandarin Chinese, although if you were in the garage when I was having one of my rage conniption fits,...you swear that I speak it fluently.
I can't be nice it seems,..But I can be one hell of a prick,

So.......I got that going for me,........which is nice.

I can't paint a car evidently,.....I can change the color of the car easily enough,...I just can't paint. It's a difference between textures I guess.
I can't write computer code,...which coincidently seems a little like trying to tune the car,..so yeah... We are gonna have to go over a few things on the tune.

Why allowing my meandering mind to wander off course, I was thinking the other day that maybe I'll just remove the Turbo. Maybe I'll reconfigure Medusa so that I can just change out the collector and swap between N/A exhaust, and that wheezer. That way I could tune the car more safely w/o fear of that turbo melting something inside the engine,...or bending or blowing something something else. If the turbo wasn't sitting there, I know that the cool factor will go right out the window, but the reliability factor will go up exponentially. And this car is meant to be driven,...Fast.....is secondary.

I just don't know if I'll be able to tolerate what miserable horsepower that I may be left with w/o the benefit of forced induction. Maybe 250-300.....probably alot less. The cam overlap will become audible though, and it is a pretty big cam at that, so maybe the poppity-pop of a big duration (for a banger) camshaft will be music enough?
The biggest motivator for considering this is the head gasket. The other is the connecting rods. Both are weak sauce in this engine. Both solutions are out there though,...One will cost 300-350,....and the other, 550.00-600.00. A cometic head gasket, and a set of forged I beams.......One thousand bucks....Money that I woulda spent w/o blinking when I had it, now, one thousand more dollars needing to be spent that is way harder to get based on my current income. And w/o knowing the limit of what is currently in the engine,....money that may not even need to be spent.
(Especially if I remove the turbo).

I drive 300 HP cars everyday at work. Most of them w/ little 3 liter engines or smaller. And everyone of those cars feel faster than sht to me. They are turbocharged,..and full of current tech,..I know that w/o it they would probably be miserable as well.

I keep thinking...... "If I remove the Turbo, and this car makes 250-300 HP, I know that it'll make similarly big torque, why would I need that hot assed thing sitting up there again?"

Oh yeah,.....sight, sound,.......boost.

These engines (the aussie version) in stock config made pitiful power.....like 165 pitiful for example.
For me to hope that the ported head, bigger valves, big roller, and improved induction will double that seems a little overly far sighted.
Commensurately,...put a wheezer on these engines(or just leave it),..and pound in 16PSI,....all of the sudden you have a 400+HP, and just stupid amounts of TQ. (Like 550 at 2700 RPM)

And the heat,....fatigue, and failure that will come with it. And this car was meant to be driven.

But....

If I do keep the snail on the engine, and I set my sights conservatively......I'm thinkin that 5 PSI is gonna get me there though. That would mean that I take the damn boost controller off,.and let the WG springs do what they're supposed to do. 300/300 is my new lowered target for leaving that, or removing that turbo.

So,......Did you read all the way down to here?.... Congratulations...

Chime in,.....I want to know who I'm talking to here.

I think there's 7-10 of you. I can guess pretty much who this'll be.

Maybe I'll surprise myself,...maybe I'll be wrong.
Coyote swap mike.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Getting moving as planned. The defeatest thing is not becoming the MadMike we are used to. Rub dirt on it, get angry and get back in the game......dog gone it Mike.....now I'm going to work on mine.

Reactions: 2 users
Mike that is a table I want you to try for me, it is very similar to the table I run on MY car. there is nothing crazy about those timing numbers. during acceleration you won't be anywhere near that "cliff".

Screen shot from the a9l timing tables notice the timing numbers in cruise load% at 1100rpm.... many oem add lots of timing at low load for emissions, add the 4* we usually put to a 5.0 and some of these numbers are at 48* advance.
Screenshot_20161211-133650.png

Nah, you go away....:fight:

I read your whole post btw, i know you're kind of sensitive about that. I kept hoping there would be pictures at the bottom of the post.
Did you really read the whole post Dave?....Even the disclaimer?

The Wife has my plan sorta corrupted today....stuff to do.....stuff to do.

Getting moving as planned. The defeatest thing is not becoming the MadMike we are used to. Rub dirt on it, get angry and get back in the game......dog gone it Mike.....now I'm going to work on mine.
There's nothing "defeatist about what I wrote RD....I'm just thinking out loud about the possibilities.

I think you should keep minimal boost. Surely your parts (head gasket aside) can hold 5-6 lbs. If the HG lets go, just get the good one, cause that isnt that big of a deal. The car is big and heavy, and you have those rear mounted coolers crafted into the trunk lid, as well as the Gila fins, etc. The car isnt what you meant for it to be without the whole shebang. IF you were to do any drastic change, I think an N/A Triton V10 would be something cool and different, or a Powerstroke deisel so you can keep all your turbo goodies. I, for one, have always loved the big deisel rat rod that that dude out in Vegas built. Whatever you do, I hope leaving your I6 N/A is your last choice.

PS, I also read the whole post, and always do. Pics to go along with the stories are just a bonus.

Ahhh...the woes of nearing turbo motor completion.

Sounds like you're about where I was a couple weeks ago.

These ups and downs are part of the addiction of what we do. Pick up your face and move forward with what you have been doing this whole thread. We didn't start reading your posts to check out how you built an Aussie headed i6 without a turbo. Without the snail the Gila Monster....is just a Gila. The turbo is the Monster. You can figure this out.

Stop being scared....if you blow it up you have a reason to build an even crazier motor. The MS will support a lot of different combos.

You won't have to worry about that though because you won't blow it up.

All this from a little oil on one spark plug. Smh I thought I was nuts.

Reactions: 3 users
Keep the turbo and be conservative, when you wallet gets fat again get the parts you need for more boost. By then you'll have the bugs (do gila monsters get fleas or something?) and there will be some, worked out and be bored with slep'n around in the mini.
I don't need pictures, you are pretty cool in cartoon form.
Post the pics for everyone else.

I read it(always do)...keep the boost conservative and keep the snail. I think it will be underwhelming without it(power wise). I couldn't do the tuning myself(maybe I could...but with a steep learning curve) and don't have the patience for it anymore. I can't paint either(tried once a long time ago...epic failure).

It sounds like you're going through some self doubt period of a build. Hang with it and you'll get it driving/running the way you planned.

First thing-Super excited about the welding Halo GoPro clone :D

And the camera roof mounts too..

As far as the rest- I did in fact read it-and my suggestion would be,put a modest tune up with low boost in it. Iron out all the kinks and enjoy the car through this upcoming Spring-Summer-Fall and next winter, tear it down-replace the rods and headgasket etc and turn that Monster up :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, me and the three others (not really) that have read the whole monster story know, you will not be satisfied with take'n the snail off and having a really cool (not really) exhaust pipe snaking up and around the engine compartment, it may even sound cool(not really).
So put your big boy pants on and get that silly looking gopro mounted on your head, grab one of those beers that don't taste like beer and get that thing tuned and ride that monster.
After all, your are ' do it twice mike' (not really, more like three or for times)
I didn't include dave, he don't have to read it, he lived some of it.

I haven't read the entire 233 pages of thread so I'm scratching my head about the 6 cylinder anyway, I would have to guess the turbo has been in the mix the entire time and to leave it off now would make the build incomplete and short of it's wow factor. I'm sure your running low on patience and want it done already but I'm pretty sure you would be unhappy with the performance when you drove it anyway.

As usual, I read the whole post. These little setbacks have a tendency to make us start rethinking why did I do this. I'm kinda going through this myself a little. The completed project is in your grasp but little tedious gremlins keep kickin you in the stomach that kinda kills your drive. Keep at it Mike. Taking the turbo off would disappoint YOU the most because the whole plan was a turbo I6 with the almost unobtainable Aussie head. And like somebody else mentioned, you have your custom mounted heat exchangers in the trunk and the Gila-fins, the trunk vent, etc. The whole car was built around the turbo. So just keep it at low boost until you iron out all the tuning issues, drive it on low boost for a while then upgrade the inferior parts for higher boost when funds allow later. High boost isn't the immediate cool factor of the car...boost is. A91what is awesome with tuning but maybe you could consult a professional tuner about this particular issue just as a second opinion and then you and he can compare your findings and go from there. Word of the Day: Collaborative Tuning :thinking:

Mike, I've considered pulling the turbo off my car and throwing it as far as I can more times that I can count.. but with all of the work I've put into it I just can't bring myself to do it. You've done way more to your car to turbo it, as pointed out. It'd be pointless to not utilize those modifications now. I say go for it..

I'll add this- I've seriously considered selling my MS set up and going to something easier. Added expense, yes.. but I've had multiple people mess with it and it ain't there yet. Now, I'm pretty sure I have a blown head gasket. If that's all it is, maybe I'll give MS one more try.. but I guarantee that's all it's getting.

I think you should keep minimal boost. Surely your parts (head gasket aside) can hold 5-6 lbs. If the HG lets go, just get the good one, cause that isnt that big of a deal. The car is big and heavy, and you have those rear mounted coolers crafted into the trunk lid, as well as the Gila fins, etc. The car isnt what you meant for it to be without the whole shebang. IF you were to do any drastic change, I think an N/A Triton V10 would be something cool and different, or a Powerstroke deisel so you can keep all your turbo goodies. I, for one, have always loved the big deisel rat rod that that dude out in Vegas built. Whatever you do, I hope leaving your I6 N/A is your last choice.

PS, I also read the whole post, and always do. Pics to go along with the stories are just a bonus.

Ahhh...the woes of nearing turbo motor completion.

Sounds like you're about where I was a couple weeks ago.

These ups and downs are part of the addiction of what we do. Pick up your face and move forward with what you have been doing this whole thread. We didn't start reading your posts to check out how you built an Aussie headed i6 without a turbo. Without the snail the Gila Monster....is just a Gila. The turbo is the Monster. You can figure this out.

Stop being scared....if you blow it up you have a reason to build an even crazier motor. The MS will support a lot of different combos.

You won't have to worry about that though because you won't blow it up.

All this from a little oil on one spark plug. Smh I thought I was nuts.

Keep the turbo and be conservative, when you wallet gets fat again get the parts you need for more boost. By then you'll have the bugs (do gila monsters get fleas or something?) and there will be some, worked out and be bored with slep'n around in the mini.
I don't need pictures, you are pretty cool in cartoon form.
Post the pics for everyone else.

I read it(always do)...keep the boost conservative and keep the snail. I think it will be underwhelming without it(power wise). I couldn't do the tuning myself(maybe I could...but with a steep learning curve) and don't have the patience for it anymore. I can't paint either(tried once a long time ago...epic failure).

It sounds like you're going through some self doubt period of a build. Hang with it and you'll get it driving/running the way you planned.

First thing-Super excited about the welding Halo GoPro clone :D

And the camera roof mounts too..

As far as the rest- I did in fact read it-and my suggestion would be,put a modest tune up with low boost in it. Iron out all the kinks and enjoy the car through this upcoming Spring-Summer-Fall and next winter, tear it down-replace the rods and headgasket etc and turn that Monster up :)

Ok, me and the three others (not really) that have read the whole monster story know, you will not be satisfied with take'n the snail off and having a really cool (not really) exhaust pipe snaking up and around the engine compartment, it may even sound cool(not really).
So put your big boy pants on and get that silly looking gopro mounted on your head, grab one of those beers that don't taste like beer and get that thing tuned and ride that monster.
After all, your are ' do it twice mike' (not really, more like three or for times)
I didn't include dave, he don't have to read it, he lived some of it.

I haven't read the entire 233 pages of thread so I'm scratching my head about the 6 cylinder anyway, I would have to guess the turbo has been in the mix the entire time and to leave it off now would make the build incomplete and short of it's wow factor. I'm sure your running low on patience and want it done already but I'm pretty sure you would be unhappy with the performance when you drove it anyway.

As usual, I read the whole post. These little setbacks have a tendency to make us start rethinking why did I do this. I'm kinda going through this myself a little. The completed project is in your grasp but little tedious gremlins keep kickin you in the stomach that kinda kills your drive. Keep at it Mike. Taking the turbo off would disappoint YOU the most because the whole plan was a turbo I6 with the almost unobtainable Aussie head. And like somebody else mentioned, you have your custom mounted heat exchangers in the trunk and the Gila-fins, the trunk vent, etc. The whole car was built around the turbo. So just keep it at low boost until you iron out all the tuning issues, drive it on low boost for a while then upgrade the inferior parts for higher boost when funds allow later. High boost isn't the immediate cool factor of the car...boost is. A91what is awesome with tuning but maybe you could consult a professional tuner about this particular issue just as a second opinion and then you and he can compare your findings and go from there. Word of the Day: Collaborative Tuning :thinking:

Now see,...this is what I want when I ask a question, or make a point that asks for input. I expect that the lot of you will offer advice.....I appreciate it all.

It's that advice that brings back perspective. Like the turbo being the center of the build in the first place. As different as the banger is,...w/o any power to back it up,...it's still just a "Why did he do all that again?" waiting to happen.

And after today I now know..........
I built the Monster so I could wear my new hat:

1E9728FA-F54F-4ADD-B1C0-A72C5B580EA5_zpsqtbfhd9n.jpg

Pretty freakin' sporty if you ask me...

1CFD3876-3918-4568-A9BB-E72CE378E431_zpsyommfdpz.jpg

Raggedy's linked camera mount suggestion......The best 14 bucks I've spent in awhile...

So unfortunately,..I got nothin' else for today....the wife had plans for me,.......What else could I do?

Tomorrow there is a 50% chance of rain,...That also means that there is a 50% chance of sun. So I'll do the start up regimen thing again tommorrow,....I need to read more into tuning the WUE to get rid of the annoying little stutter that it does.

It needs something done to the accelerator enrichment as well.....It still has a little flat spot when you stab the go-pedal. I want it to rev freely from any RPM w/o bringing the revs up a little first.

I still am confused about the timing table that Steve linked me...... @a91what. The Cliff I'm talking about in that table occurs immediately in the next row of cells at the same KPA across the board. It goes from 22 straight up to 36....I'm having trouble grasping what happens when the engine sees 14 degrees of additional timing in normal light acceleration when it goes from where it idles to .................................:shrug:.......I guess I'll just have to see tomorrow.

So,..that does it. Tomorrow is the "You get to see it rattle" (if it does). I'll be sure to datalog that run so I can learn what it is doing at that time as well. Maybe, If it doesn't act a fool,...we'll all see what 5 pounds looks like.

Reactions: 6 users
Now see,...this is what I want when I ask a question, or make a point that asks for input. I expect that the lot of you will offer advice.....I appreciate it all.

It's that advice that brings back perspective. Like the turbo being the center of the build in the first place. As different as the banger is,...w/o any power to back it up,...it's still just a "Why did he do all that again?" waiting to happen.

And after today I now know..........
I built the Monster so I could wear my new hat:

1E9728FA-F54F-4ADD-B1C0-A72C5B580EA5_zpsqtbfhd9n.jpg

Pretty freakin' sporty if you ask me...

1CFD3876-3918-4568-A9BB-E72CE378E431_zpsyommfdpz.jpg

Raggedy's linked camera mount suggestion......The best 14 bucks I've spent in awhile...

So unfortunately,..I got nothin' else for today....the wife had plans for me,.......What else could I do?

Tomorrow there is a 50% chance of rain,...That also means that there is a 50% chance of sun. So I'll do the start up regimen thing again tommorrow,....I need to read more into tuning the WUE to get rid of the annoying little stutter that it does.

It needs something done to the accelerator enrichment as well.....It still has a little flat spot when you stab the go-pedal. I want it to rev freely from any RPM w/o bringing the revs up a little first.

I still am confused about the timing table that Steve linked me...... @a91what. The Cliff I'm talking about in that table occurs immediately in the next row of cells at the same KPA across the board. It goes from 22 straight up to 36....I'm having trouble grasping what happens when the engine sees 14 degrees of additional timing in normal light acceleration when it goes from where it idles to .................................:shrug:.......I guess I'll just have to see tomorrow.

So,..that does it. Tomorrow is the "You get to see it rattle" (if it does). I'll be sure to datalog that run so I can learn what it is doing at that time as well. Maybe, If it doesn't act a fool,...we'll all see what 5 pounds looks like.
You look very sporting with that on mike.

The only problem with the photos is that you can't appreciate how freaking much meat that rear wheel has.

I hope it goes well tomorrow my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.