Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

When I cut and added a filler neck to my Ranger gas tank, I used some of that hardening gas tank glue gunk. It worked well and never leaked. Why not use that, and run a perimeter of small metal screws around it as a safegaurd, and not have the rust issue?

Reactions: 1 user
Basically, the only purpose of the welded ring is to allow you to tap holes for bolts. I say make that hole a rectangle. Take the top plate and clamp it to that ring. Drill and tap your holes. Mark the tank and drill matching holes to the top cover. Use tank repair goop ( or a magnet )to hold that ring inside the tank. Then seal and bolt the top plate on.

See, easy peasy.... You could even leave the magnets in the tank. They can't hurt nuffin'. :shrug:

No welding at all. Very little rust. Almost no room for error....unless you just want to do it again.

Yesterday went as best as I could've hoped for...(albeit very slowly)

#2's 2005 Buick LeSabre battery dies...I take him with me, and we buy the new battery the night before, so I could replace it today. Buick LeSabre's have their battery under the rear seat, which made for the cleanest battery exchange I've ever done, but nonetheless, I do it,...by myself,...all while #2 sleeps.

I got no time to yell at him to get up,..and climbing the stairs to go back into the house, is too slow and painful.

From there, I get in the car and take off...first to Oreilly's to exchange the core,...then on to the metal supermarket to get my steel. Driving isn't remotely painful,...you are just aware of how achy your legs are. When they do this surgery, they warn you that you will have to completely re-develop your Quadricep muscles, and that these muscles literally shut down when they are manipulated in the surgery. It is the one visually noticeable after effect of the surgery.

My legs look, perform, and feel like they are on an 80 year old man...big swollen knees, and bony sticks above that....it's scary to look at.

But,.....there are plenty of 80 year old crotchedy's out there driving,....and now one more of them is on the road.

The hardest thing to do out of all of this is to stand for long stretches of time w/o sitting. When I get to Oreillys,...the guy at the counter has never done a core exchange,........so I have to stand and wait.......Hiiissssss.....my knees slowly inflate as they swell.

When he finally figures it out, I get back in the car, and move onto the next stop. I called the order in ahead of time to eliminate the wait,..but when I get there,..nobody knows nothing about my piddly little order.....so I wait.

Hiissssssssssss.

When I get my two pieces of steel, I make my way back home....but first, I decide to stop at the grocery store and get some stuff that I need...When I get out of the store,..I got 6 bags of stuff, and it's pouring....

And the Mini is in the middle of the parking lot. I decide to wait out the rain storm as it looks like a typical summer shower. So I stand.
Hiiisssssssssssssssssssssss.

Now I'm swollen about as tight as the skin will let my knees swell. I'm standing there waiting for a break in the rain,..when the lazy SON OF A BTCH pulls up in front of the store, and parks in the fire lane and goes inside.

He does this for obvious reasons (to him at least) He thinks that he'll only be a second....so he leaves his car running.

I think "Should I get in the car, and back/ pull that thing forward to phck with him, or wait till he gets out and say something to him?"

I choose B.

There are several people standing waiting on a break in the rain, but only one guy in shorts w/ two 10" scars directly on top of his grapefruit sized swollen knees...I say "Hey! what makes it alright to park in that fire lane blocking these people and myself from being able to load their groceries just so you have the convenience of not getting wet?"
He begs my pardon. I repeat the question.
He says (while he walks around to the drive side of his Volvo SUV) that he only needed to give somebody something, and jumps in and drives off.

Dick.

It finally stops raining. It's only been 15 minutes, but it seems like I've been standing there for an hour. I hobble out to the car, load in, and leave.

When I get home and get the groceries put up. I got nothing left. On one hand, I know that if I stop there'll be hell to pay. I know that if I push forward there'll be hell to pay. Which is the lesser of two evils?

I eat lunch,and go downstairs.

I clean the tank,..and drill the holes for the pump and sender. I finish by tacking the plate on top of the tank......And it starts to rain.

I take it as a sign...I stop.

Therapy again today...in an hour..."Mark me" (where's that from?) I'm gonna finish this tank today.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm slowly returning to normal. Each therapy session gets easier...(only a matter of time before they increase the weight/resistance, and it'll stop being so easy)

When I got back,..I wrestled with going down there again,..but......

I wanna drive this thing Saturday.

So,...I forced myself down to the Monster manor...and started working on the tank.

In a couple of hours,....I had this.

20170920_165134_zpsuvvgcwu4.jpg

It just takes a bagillion years when you are welding stuff that is as thin as a gas tank. Add to that that it is galvanized, and mig welding this thing requires a certain level of Oh-Bi-Wan Kenobi kinda skill.

I just happen to have that.;)

After that, I cleaned the pss outta the inside of the tank. Hosin' and Scrubbin' as best I could, followed by a couple of vacuum sessions and I was satisfied.

This kit has a foam bladder that acts as a baffle. There is also a fuel pump strainer attached to the bottom of what appeared to be a Walbro pump The bladder I'd imagine will also act as a "filter" of sorts,...but there isn't any junk left inside for me to worry about getting sucked up by the pump.
aei-18688_ml.jpg

You have to cut that yellow foam 1" higher than your tank, and then jam that into a hole that's about 2" smaller in diameter.
The pump hangs in the middle of that cone,...the fact that it's wedged against the top and floor of the tank, and now held that way by the pump should keep it in place....(I hope)

When you finish, This is what you get.
20170920_184110_zpsnrphqapf.jpg

*suck ass camera phone...:nonono:

So,...I still have to re-plumb, and rewire ,..and I still have to cut the trunk floor larger to allow me access to the top of this tank when it's installed. I ain't drainin' no tank, no moe.

Tomorrow is all me. No therapy,...just Monster time...Clearly, what sounds like a perfect opportunity to complete all of this is hampered by my lack of strength,and pain....The goal will be to get the tank completely in the car, wired, plumbed, filled, tested, and hopefully.......started.

Let us pray.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm slowly returning to normal. Each therapy session gets easier...(only a matter of time before they increase the weight/resistance, and it'll stop being so easy)

When I got back,..I wrestled with going down there again,..but......

I wanna drive this thing Saturday.

So,...I forced myself down to the Monster manor...and started working on the tank.

In a couple of hours,....I had this.

20170920_165134_zpsuvvgcwu4.jpg

It just takes a bagillion years when you are welding stuff that is as thin as a gas tank. Add to that that it is galvanized, and mig welding this thing requires a certain level of Oh-Bi-Wan Kenobi kinda skill.

I just happen to have that.;)

After that, I cleaned the pss outta the inside of the tank. Hosin' and Scrubbin' as best I could, followed by a couple of vacuum sessions and I was satisfied.

This kit has a foam bladder that acts as a baffle. There is also a fuel pump strainer attached to the bottom of what appeared to be a Walbro pump The bladder I'd imagine will also act as a "filter" of sorts,...but there isn't any junk left inside for me to worry about getting sucked up by the pump.
aei-18688_ml.jpg

You have to cut that yellow foam 1" higher than your tank, and then jam that into a hole that's about 2" smaller in diameter.
The pump hangs in the middle of that cone,...the fact that it's wedged against the top and floor of the tank, and now held that way by the pump should keep it in place....(I hope)

When you finish, This is what you get.
20170920_184110_zpsnrphqapf.jpg

*suck ass camera phone...:nonono:

So,...I still have to re-plumb, and rewire ,..and I still have to cut the trunk floor larger to allow me access to the top of this tank when it's installed. I ain't drainin' no tank, no moe.

Tomorrow is all me. No therapy,...just Monster time...Clearly, what sounds like a perfect opportunity to complete all of this is hampered by my lack of strength,and pain....The goal will be to get the tank completely in the car, wired, plumbed, filled, tested, and hopefully.......started.

Let us pray.
Mikey, that's the system i want for my little bastard. Let me know how it works out. It sure sounds good.

DewKM_s-200x150.gif

Damn good job. I was too late to point out that welding directly on galvanized can create fumes that can kill you, but then I realized this man has 2 fake knees and is not only working on his car, his son's car, but he is taking on asshats at the grocery store. He is Superman. Or at least the Great American Hero..

Great progress, Mike!

Reactions: 1 users
You ever spend the day in the garage, and just work like a dog to the point that you have to drag your ass outta there at the end of the day but you got a smile on your face?

Do you like torture?

This was the case for me,
It was by no means a frantic pace, considering I'm moving slightly quicker than a glacier. It was the physicality required to just do the damn work.
Let's think about it......you have to build fuel lines, and mount a gas tank" of course from under a car.....think about that some more....you'll need to get down and back up again over, and over while to measure the hard lines, cut them, flare them, then go back under and test fit. What about the gas tank itself? I mean it doesn't just lift into place,..you have the filler neck to dick with, all while balancing the tank on a floor jack.

Now,...you can't kneel down.
So,...you bend over, put one hand on the ground while you walk your legs out from under you until you are in a " side plank" position, which can be finished by putting a butt cheek on the ground. Then drag yourself onto the creeper.

To get up, you just reverse the procedure.

That tends to take a toll on you after awhile.

Nonetheless, that's what I did today.
20170921_134847_zpsmwy828r1.jpg

The best part of all of this is obvious,.....I don't have to cut the trunk floor. ( any more that is) Everything is accessible once the cover plate is removed.

So,.....yeah.

Now,.....how much better is it than the previous system?

So far,...having only started the car....night and day.

The engine had to crank several times before starting with the old system,....It's almost like you could hear the fuel foaming when the system primed.
With the new system,...the engine starts when you turn the key. You can barely hear the new system,...you could always hear the old one.

So,...the take away for me today,..is that I'm beat.....my knees are screaming bloody hell,....but I'm smiling.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks guys,...hopefully the fuel issues ( other than running out of gas:oops:) are behind me now.

I wasn't gonna cloud up my update w/ this, but,....there's trouble in paradise...

The car had a significant puddle of oil under it. There's leaks from what has to be the rear main seal, leaks from the drain plugs, leaks from the transmission front, and rear lip seals, and now from the pinion seal...

The car has sat for over a month,...and I would expect some drips,....but I had a puddle about 12" in diameter.

I've probably damaged the rear main seal as a result of excessive crank case pressure,...( or its just a piece of sht 250 6 banger and they just leak by design)

My well received " other" thread where I asked for input on breather tanks offered little help, w/ Noobz' exception (Thanks Noobz)@Noobz347.
It makes sense that if I've got enough velocity of air movement through a -12 that's it's able to move wet oil,..I've gotta lot of blow by. Placing a second -12 in the front of the VC and routing to a second tank would effectively open the hole to -24......(I'd have a collective 2" hole in the top of my valve cover)
The benefit to which, ( also directly quoting the Noobz) is that opening the flow restriction lowers the air pressure to the collection vessels....better ventilation = better sealing, less baby puke in the breather tanks,..happier Mike.

The problem for me is......symmetry ....I don't like lopsided lookin anything, and I want those tanks in a more servicible location....where would I put them?
20170530_090825_zpscs6ed3yt.jpg

Maybe,....get two slimline tall boy lookin alum ones, and put them side by side where the existing -12 passes through? Then fab up a quick release so that I can just pull a pin,...loosen the fitting,....and dump whatever is inside?

At teh risk of being the stickler for obvious details:

Remember that both PCV system capacities need to be port to port. What I mean, using the same vac source/orifice to run both systems won't net the increased volume.

I'm sure you know this already but didn't see where either of us emphasised it.

Status
Not open for further replies.