1985 gt convertible ruff idle & slow throttle response

• Sponsors (?)

instead of high jacking my thread, why don’t you start your own?
well basically there is not much you can do to a CFI system that I know of, to get the stuff you got running better you need to first check fuel pressure, see if anyone's fussed with the timing and check what happens to the spark when trying to rev it above 2500 rpms with a spark tester. Pull a plug and see what brand it is and condition of the sparking end, remember these engines don't need any e3 triple gold plated sparklers, just plain old copper autolite -em-ups.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to start from the beginning. Since we know it’s a ECU driven engine, you need to pull the codes, test the vacuum, compression test, timing, etc. Gather all that and plan your attack. Now, for known problems with this throttle body injector system, the two injectors can get clogged, low fuel pressure fits your symptoms, as well as late timing. But vacuum is still the likely problem. Since the car likely has old vacuum lines, I would just replace them all. My last mid 1980’s Ford CFE problem turned out to be a clogged injector. I can’t remember if I was able to replace the two injectors or I had to buy a rebuilt throttle body. Just my 2 cents.

So if you reread what Noobz was saying he was merely asking if anyone knew what it would take to swap to a carb setup to get you another path. I happen to agree with him as my 83 T-Brid was CFI and it was a pile of crap. Switched it to a carb when it got the warmed up 306 and T5 and never looked back.

Lots of threads on the Mustang sites about swapping. The CFI cars have an intank lift pump and then an external high pressure pump on the rear frame rail. From what I remember you can simply remove the high pressure pump and the lift pump will provide enough pressure and volume for a carbureted car. You will need a fuel pressure regulator. The only reason I know this is a guy over on a Thunderbird forum did this with a mild 351W and it ran fine.

So if you reread what Noobz was saying he was merely asking if anyone knew what it would take to swap to a carb setup to get you another path. I happen to agree with him as my 83 T-Brid was CFI and it was a pile of crap. Switched it to a carb when it got the warmed up 306 and T5 and never looked back.

Lots of threads on the Mustang sites about swapping. The CFI cars have an intank lift pump and then an external high pressure pump on the rear frame rail. From what I remember you can simply remove the high pressure pump and the lift pump will provide enough pressure and volume for a carbureted car. You will need a fuel pressure regulator. The only reason I know this is a guy over on a Thunderbird forum did this with a mild 351W and it ran fine.

Can you post a picture of what you have?

Attachments

• IMG_20231028_111718764.jpg
    IMG_20231028_111718764.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 27

Attachments

• IMG_20231028_111833139.jpg
    IMG_20231028_111833139.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 24

I really thought he was concerned about the rough idle and I gave some advice on how to fix it I

don't think he always had to be replacing parts

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately I have not had time to do that. Gotta work and be a responsible senior adult first. lol Sorta funny cause when I took the pics this morning the girl says… maybe you should have sent pictures under the hood!! I just looked at her and took another drink of my coffee. she’s smarter than she looks. I’ll take some when I get back to the house.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately I have not had time to do that. Gotta work and be a responsible senior adult first. lol Sorta funny cause when I took the pics this morning the girl says… maybe you should have sent pictures under the hood!! I just looked at her and took another drink of my coffee. she’s smarter than she looks. I’ll take some when I get back to the house.
Where's her account? We'll have this thing fixed in a jiffy. :jester:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users