Engine 1986-93 Mustang March Performance Ram Air Kit 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

I used to run one before AFM Power Pipe put my filter element out into the fender.

I used to run the whole kit and then went to running just the airbox and filter. The ram air kit didn't function poorly per se. The cleanout works ok but it did still scoop stuff up occasionally. Is the ram air worth any HP? Probably not. Is it a good airbox to use to get the air intake out of engine bay? Yeah, that's what it's good for.

1697772398676.png

Here's a pic from the [way back] machine :O_o: I was only using the box at this point, shortly after in installed the KB.

I made [almost] 1 lb more boost with the KB with this airbox over the stock airbox in my data logs.

Dislikes: Over time, the filter element doesn't fit as snugly into the airbox as when it is new. Some F4 tape is how I fixed this:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The March airbox is a great way to mount a conical filter under the hood. I opened up the air intake opening to match the hole in the fender apron with a Dremel using a Roto-Zip bit. I do not use the ram air hose or scoop. You can also purchase the ram air box as a stand-alone item directly from March.

Attachments

• airbox1.jpg
    airbox1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 41
  • airbox2.jpg
    airbox2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 40
  • airbox3.jpg
    airbox3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 users
The March airbox is a great way to mount a conical filter under the hood. I opened up the air intake opening to match the hole in the fender apron with a Dremel using a Roto-Zip bit. I do not use the ram air hose or scoop. You can also purchase the ram air box as a stand-alone item directly from March.
Sweet! Here's the filter too:

Reactions: 1 user
I used to run one before AFM Power Pipe put my filter element out into the fender.

I used to run the whole kit and then went to running just the airbox and filter. The ram air kit didn't function poorly per se. The cleanout works ok but it did still scoop stuff up occasionally. Is the ram air worth any HP? Probably not. Is it a good airbox to use to get the air intake out of engine bay? Yeah, that's what it's good for.

1697772398676.png

Here's a pic from the [way back] machine :O_o: I was only using the box at this point, shortly after in installed the KB.

I made [almost] 1 lb more boost with the KB with this airbox over the stock airbox in my data logs.

Dislikes: Over time, the filter element doesn't fit as snugly into the airbox as when it is new. Some F4 tape is how I fixed this:
What was that sweet KB like when you floored 1st gear to take off ? Or going from 4th to 3rd gear and flooring it to pass some one. What rear gears did you have? Did you ever have it on a dyno?

Last edited:
I didn't think it was still sold.

It probably works well at speed. Cold air can't hurt right? Back in the day, i heard it lovingly referred to as "Ram dirt" so i would at least keep on top of filter maintenance. I have no personal experience with it however.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, that's a blast from the past, weren't these things a big issue because they could suck water into your engine being that the intake scoop was so low to the ground or was that just talk?
I never had that happen. The trick there is to not drive in water that's over the bumper, I think.

That's not an issue I ever encountered in my Mustang but I've done it in a truck or two. :O_o:

I never had that happen. The trick there is to not drive in water that's over the bumper, I think.

That's not an issue I ever encountered in my Mustang but I've done it in a truck or two. :O_o:
Company I worked for in the 90's gave us Olds wagons that had the air intake below the bumper.. Had a fellow sales guy suck water into his car ( dumb ass was driving in a flood) and hydrolocked his engine that way..