Resolved 1991 vert, 5.0, auto won't even turn over

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator
Acts like there is no battery for starting. Everything elect. works but won't start. No turn over and no click. New battery 6 months ago and shows a good charge. Have had it on a batt. tender.
Any suggestions appreciated. I'm used to the older stuff where I could find the solenoid and starter easy.
Chuck

• Sponsors (?)

Check the easy stuff first.... Are you in park or neutral?
Assuming original battery cables? They are probably corroded on the inside...This seems to be a common malady on here....
Can you turn over the engine manually as in using a breaker bar on the front pulley?

Try jumping power from battery positive to starter solenoid trigger post (small one with one small wire on it). Make sure you are in park. This should crank the engine whether the key is on or not. If it doesn't crank you probably have a bad starter solenoid.

Also want to check the ground wires to battery and from engine to chassis. Its a place to start.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a 'no crank checklist ' around here somewhere :scratch: let me look around, be right back :leaving:
here it is:

Reactions: 1 user
Tried it in park and neutral. Terminals are clean and making good contact. Batt. reads good on my tester and the voltage reads 13.3 volts...

Attachments

• mustangeng.jpg
    mustangeng.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 39
Acts like there is no battery for starting. Everything elect. works but won't start. No turn over and no click. New battery 6 months ago and shows a good charge. Have had it on a batt. tender.
Any suggestions appreciated. I'm used to the older stuff where I could find the solenoid and starter easy.
Chuck
Use a
Chuck
if jumping the starter solenoid doesn’t work, use a test light on the solenoid signal wire and see if it’s getting power from the ignition switch.

We (at least I would) would like an explanation of how you came to this solution, pics of damaged, worn, blow'd up parts along with captivating narration is a plus and can win discounts for yearly dues on memberships here (not really).
I mention this cause I can't count how many times I've found starting issues came down to loose, old wire and dirty connections, also slow crank and long cranking times will kill old wires, starters.
I could tell you stories.
I guess that makes me 'old' :nonono:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users