1993 cobra project

Gunnerm1

Apr 25, 2006
Just thought I would share my current Mustang exploits. May of last year I drove to Laredo TX and purchased the nicest coupe I had ever seen. It was bone stock, and had 78 k original miles. Being a Texas vehicle it had zero rust. The interior was flawless.
The problem with the vehicle is that although I appreciated the fact that it was stock, I appreciated it to the point that I did not want to modify it. I came to the realization that I wanted a modified mustang and that I was not about to butcher such a fine specimen of a mustang.
Searching my local Craig’s List, I came across a 93 CORBA listed for 6.5 K.
I assumed that if the owner were selling the vehicle for 6k that there was something horribly wrong with it.
I called the owner and arranged a viewing hours later.
I arrived and instantly found that the vehicle was in much better condition that I thought that it would be.
The exterior had a fresh paint job, although the badges and some molding was missing.
The interior was the only problem with the vehicle that I could find. Most of the interior was not installed, and various components were missing although.
Having replaced entire interiors in vehicle before, I could see through the interior problems.
One of the coolest parts of the car other than the fact that it’s a real cobra is that it has a fully welded 10 point roll cage installed.

The owner explained that he bought the car as a rolling chassis. With new paint, roll cage and no engine, the interior was basically in a box.
The guy I bought it from pieced the engine and driveline from various places, he , not knowing much about cars, knew the following.

Engine ( stock 302) unknown year
Performance cam ( turned out to be a b cam)
Performance transmission ( turned out to be a tremmec 500) very smooth
Brand new king cobra clutch
Brand new 355 gears ( all new seals)
Eddlebrock performer 2 intake
Stock (e7) heads (not gt40)
Msd dizzy
Msd ignition

So anyway I take the car around the block and it feels surprisingly pretty good. It was obvious that the shocks and struts were shot.
I offered him 6k and he took it. The I was not going to low ball him, and risk losing the car, because I knew with a little work, this was going to be one hell of a car.

After I purchased the car, I went to straighing out the interior wiring mess, and acquiring parts from salvage yards for the interior, as luck would have it I found a coupe with a complete black interior and was able to gather various pieces to completed the interior. I am still missing some plastic, but the interior is about (90% completed. I need to install a rear seat delete due to the fact that the roll cage does not allot for the back seat.

I installed new shock and struts.
Looking at the engine bay I decide that if I were going to do it, I should do it right.
I have acquired the following parts

24 lbs injectors with calibrated mass air.
Afr 185 heads
Crane roller rockers
I bought and then polished a gt40 tubular intake ( because I love the way they look)

When tearing down the engine to install the heads I realized that the under hood wiring was a mess, and decided to run all the wiring that I would under each fender. Then I thought it would be a shame to not fill all of the holes in the engine bay, so I bought a welder and have plans to smooth the bay, and paint to match the car. I know it’s a lot of work, but what the hell.
Anyway I thought I would share my little project, wish me luck and I will keep you guys updated.

View attachment 382349

6bcpth4.jpg

View attachment 382351

6gvb2v5.jpg

View attachment 382353
View attachment 382354

View attachment 382355

View attachment 382356

View attachment 382357

View attachment 382358

View attachment 382359

View attachment 382360

View attachment 382361

View attachment 382362

View attachment 382363

View attachment 382364

• Sponsors (?)

update-

After a little debate with myself, I dove right in. This is my first attempt at body work, and I am learning as I go. Just to let everyone know it is a total PITA. I am trying to take my time and do it right. I do not get to work on it as often as I would like. When finished I want to pop the hood and have something I can be proud of doing.
I know that there are probably much better ways of doing things but like I said Im learning as I go. I am open to constructive criticism and or pointers.
I ordered a vortech S-1 and high output kit so that I can push about 9-10 lbs of boost. I have a stock block and do not expect it to last long. Hopefully long enough for me to save up for and build a 331. My friend has the same exact set up as me and he is putting down 470hp at the rear wheels.
Anyway on with the pics
Enjoy

View attachment 380318

View attachment 380319

View attachment 380320

View attachment 380321

66uek4j.jpg

View attachment 380323

5yuo28z.jpg

View attachment 380325