1993 Cobra...........

PJM99

Aug 21, 2004
CT
Question, sometimes I like to take my car to local cruise nights and shows. For some reason everyone stops to look at it. I get a lot of questions and a lot of people taking pictures of it. Even the 03/04 Cobra guys. Some of these cruises are loaded with newer stangs and Cobras but when I pull in with the 93 it's usually quite a seen. Most other mustang/cobra owners are in awww over it. I just don't get it? I don't have any mods, just exhaust. The most common comment is that they never see these car in person. It's rare, but not that rare. I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to get some idea of what you guys think seeing one of these up close. Honestly we all know the the newer Cobras would quickly put down a 1993 Cobra, but being around other stang owners it's almost as if it still commands respect. Is it possible that this car has reached legend status or are people simply respecting their elders? I'm only 23, but I usually have older guys compliment me on the car. I've always felt the car to be old and outdated and actually considering selling it and buying a newer one, but now I could never break down and do it.

93Cobra2.jpg

Attachments

• 93Cobra2.jpg
    93Cobra2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Sponsors (?)

It is a legend for several reasons
- first SVT
- last foxbody
- arguably the best looking foxbody
- limited production
- made only 1 year (probably the most important reason)

go to www.svtperformance.com and learn up about the car. Im surprised youve ended up with such a desirable ride, and not known it. How did you get the car, buy it, handed down, etc? It looks great. Ours were made not too far apart, 38 cars difference. :)

I know what I have, and I know the history of the Cobra. I've been to SVT.com. I just look at like this, there are other newer faster, arguably nicer looking Cobras on the road and this one always gets the most attention. I've owned the car for close to 5 years now. At first, I thought I was the man when I bought it, but as the Cobra got better and faster I began to feel left behind and out dated. But I still get complimented and the car is highley respected. So, yeah I guess you all answered my question. The car has become a legend status. It doesn't need to be the fastest or newest or need to prove anything. It just needs to be a 1993 Cobra and it is automatically respected.

Honestly most other Cobra owners I've met are always competing with eachother and trying to have the fastest one. I pull in with this and they clear a path. Their faces light up and they all flock over to see it. I'm there too see the 03/04 model which is pulling 11's but they all put away there differences, not that Cobra owners are hostile or fight alot, just there is some competition amongs the newer Cobra/SVT owners IMO.

I bought the car about 4/5 years ago. I keep it garaged and drive it on nice days. I know, it's meant to be driven, but I drive it and have fun when I need too. I don't need it everyday. It's pretty much stock, right now I have a flowtech h-pipe and some flowmaster which make the car sound sick. Right now it's pretty much the loudest Mustang around here. It's got the other typical update, K&N filter, bosch platinums, etc. I have been toying with the idea of port/polish the heads and intake. Not really sure what gains I would be looking at if any. Also, been think about doing the gears, maybe 3.55 or 3.73 and an aluminun driveshaft. Now the driveshaft I've heard the biggest gain is something with vibration reduction?

Everyone tells me to leave it alone and keep it original. It's a fun car as is and plenty fast enough but more is always fun too. The car is all original, never repainted. All body panels are straight and even have the VIN tags on everything.

Its because the teal 93 is the coolest late model Mustang ever made. Unique color. Less than 1500 made. First Cobra. What's not to love. I know its my dream car. I'm looking for a nice, low mile car right now.

............................ someday.....

I understand your point. But not everyone is on the new car bandwagon. If this were so, then nobody would own the classics. Just worry about what you want, not what everyone else is doing, and youll be happy. :)

PS, its easy to make a 93 as fast as an 03-04, if thats what has you concerned ;)

I know my 98 Cobra isnt quit as rare as your 93 but Im in the same boat. Mine is close to stock and unmallested and thats how I want to keep it. I love every minute of it and thank god I got it before some punk kid ruined it. Also, my best friend has a 98 dodge ram and he has spent **** tons of money lifting it 19 inches, puting 49" tires on it and hes still spilling money out trying to make himself happy while Ive spent 1k dollars making it stand out from other cobras while keeping its stock appeal and I am so happy with it its crazy. I guess I got bit by the snake.

personally i am just happy to own a piece of the cobra family! its nice to own one of the top mustangs in the stang community. i also feel great knowing that ricers like to compare their cars to cobras (stangs in general). that says alot for our cars whether they talk smack or not. if they have to talk smack about our cobras then we must be doing something right (as in beating them in races) to get that attention :)

Overall I am happy. I definitly would like to go faster and have all the "modern" advances but I hate to chop my car up. I've thought about picking up a run of the mill 5.0 but they seem even more primitive then this. The 1993 Cobra IMHO is far more advanced then any GT or LX. Whether is engine, tranny, brakes, etc. I just don't like the GT or LX anymore. My car just feels totally different. I have also been toying with the idea of picking up a newer Cobra with the 4.6 and modding that up. I tell everyone looking for a used Stang to buy a Cobra. Most people want to mod up a GT and most of the mods they plan are basically enought to run equal with the Cobra. I'd rather pay a little more and get the whole package out of the box.