1995 4.6 2v npi help

rgc_95xr7

Jan 11, 2010
ok, this is off car topic but i have a 95 cougar xr7, i keep looking thru forums to try and find out about what i kan do with this engine. they say to get pi heads off a 99-04 mustang. but thats all i have of info. my questions are what else can i do to this engine for power, at least to b in 11sec in the track. will all internals from a 04 gt fit my engine. i feel stupid askn dis ?s but i really dont know where to ask. as for bolt ons wat will fit in my kar from mustangs?, they say headers wont, and im not sure about the pulley kit, will that fit?, also im looking to upgrade my tranny, the tranny shop here said it gon b like the police interceptor tranny, holding at least 500hp, is dat a good investment or wat kan i get to get a better tranny. money aint a problem, n i have all da time in da world to build this kar,

• Sponsors (?)

ok, this is off car topic but i have a 95 cougar xr7, i keep looking thru forums to try and find out about what i kan do with this engine. they say to get pi heads off a 99-04 mustang. but thats all i have of info. my questions are what else can i do to this engine for power, at least to b in 11sec in the track. will all internals from a 04 gt fit my engine. i feel stupid askn dis ?s but i really dont know where to ask. as for bolt ons wat will fit in my kar from mustangs?, they say headers wont, and im not sure about the pulley kit, will that fit?, also im looking to upgrade my tranny, the tranny shop here said it gon b like the police interceptor tranny, holding at least 500hp, is dat a good investment or wat kan i get to get a better tranny. money aint a problem, n i have all da time in da world to build this kar, and jus for fun, i raced a pontiac gtp,v6 sc'd it was ahead of me(its rear bumpr was like where my front bumper at) wen i pressd da gas to get head to head da dude floord it, i managed to pass him but then i stopd cuz i was passin my gf grandmas house goin 90, her family was outside, it was xmas, lol. so far no major upgrades in my kar, i took off the cat and i have vortec cherrybombers as mufflers, supposably dats to loud for my kar, haterz hating all da time, haha. but any ideas as to wat im able to do? any websites i kan buy perf. parts from?

I wish I could help you. However, I don't speak your language.

I would advise that you do a search.

Gearbanger is a ford tech and a cougar enthusiast he will help you out...

My guess is that making that car into an 11 second car is going to be very problematic and expensive.

You say you beat a GTP, that is about as impressive as smoking an 18 wheeler...

a 95 Cougar's 4.6L isn't even an NPI motor, it's pre-NPI motor so I'm not sure much will swap with 96-2004 Mustangs without upgrading the heads & intake to a later year - maybe pulleys but that's not going to make much difference. Yeah, 99-04 PI heads & intake are your best bet since you have to swap them anyway - just about any 2V 4.6L performance parts are geared towards the PI motor and mostly for PI motors in a Mustang.

I think there are two problems with the Mustang headers in your Cougar - one is that the pre-NPI heads have different exhaust ports than NPI/PI heads and the other is that the Mustang headers won't clear the Cougar chassis.

A head swap is still going to leave you a long way from 11's though - those Cougars & T-birds are heavy compared to an already not very svelte Mustang - so you've still got a lot of work to do after that.

The best place to find Cougar & T-bird info TCCoA - I highly recommend spending a lot of time reading through their tech articles and browsing the forums - they really know their stuff over there.

I am also a Cougar/Thunderbird fan and I am familiar with these cars. I do see a couple of "problems" with the plans.

While the 4.6 modular motor in the Cougar is very similar to the Mustang, but there are differences. The exhaust is actually closer to a truck style exhaust in that the headers are in a Y configuration which flow into a single pipe through the drive tunnel. Then into another Y pipe dual muffler configuration.

Bottom line, a Mustang exhaust will not work.

To me, one important difference between the cars for the home shade tree mechanic is the 4.6 Cougar/Thunderbird motor can not be removed from above with a crane. The car's craddle design means that the body is "lifted" off of the K-member/motor/transmission. This places a motor swap in the shop league as special lift equipment is needed.

A PI head swap can not be done "in car" because the oil pan can not be dropped "in car". So, while something like a PI head swap could be done, the motor removal makes the job harder than first glance.

The suspension is totally different between Cougar/Mustang. Nothing will interchange.

Even the wheels/rims will not interchange. The bolt pattern is 1/4" smaller on the Cougar.

I sure that you have noted how much softer the transmission has been set up on the Cougar. This can changed with a shift kit and tune.

A Mustang's underdrive pulleys should fit the Cougar.

I had a 97 Cougar that I really liked. It was originally purchased to be a "sleeper". After owning it for a while, I discovered that the job was going to require much more than what I could do in my driveway.

Beside, the car drove GREAT, got good gas mileage (20 city), and was a very smooth ride. So in the end, I decided to just drive it.

Good luck.

PS, recommend to not posting threads about street racing. Trouble!

Don't confuse whining w/ somebody that feels for someone whom obviously has a disadvantage and wants help, you can defend your "buddy" all you want but this is a place for everyone which whom wants help, sounds like your kinda of biased for some reason, info is for everyone who wants to better themselves:nice:. Quit being sheeple:lol:! Quit whining about me whining in tech:Zip2:.

Hey Winters98GT/trombonedemon/Kilgore Trout,

Since I do not have a long history with this "forum" thing, I do not know about the "history" here. I wonder, is it worth asking about?

Or will I regeat leaving the "tech" world for the "talk" world?

:fairyfight:

yea winters dont be a dick, dick. i hope one day youll need help and some is an a** to you. like ive said before on this forum, its people like you taht make this country look like a**holes. so be nicer why dont ya and help the guy. ans as far as wmburns question of the topic i dont know but me and kilgore have butted heads before.

Back on topic... the only way it's running 11's normally aspirated is a LOT of money into the motor. I'd guess that a supercharger will do it for cheaper. I have no knowledge of available bolt on kits for the couger though, having never researched those cars. Getting that car to 11's without a block upgrade will be pushing it's upper limit I think... but you could probably keep from blowing up for a while with a good tune and not being too abusive.

yea winters dont be a dick, dick. i hope one day youll need help and some is an a** to you. like ive said before on this forum, its people like you taht make this country look like a**holes. so be nicer why dont ya and help the guy. ans as far as wmburns question of the topic i dont know but me and kilgore have butted heads before.

Again, I do not speak your language either. I make this country look like "a**holes?" Actually, it's ignorant people with no grasp of the English language who look bad.

And Kilgore and myself are not buds, but thanks, Kilgore.

To the OP, since you have not replied here, good luck. You might want to check specific forums for your vehicle. As mentioned TCCoA | TCCoA is a great place to start. Again, before your first post, always use the search function. It will help you out on any board. Also, don't post about street racing at 90mph past your grandma's house. That is stupid.

You can find a lot of good PI stuff here. I was the 3rd on this board to actually do one, and I have done 3 over the years on my 2v cars.

You whiners can keep whining. I don't condone street racing at 90mph past any residential area on somebody's first post.

well winters be a little more understanding when people cant pronounce things properly, especially when they might a different language dialect. i also do not condone street racing, so reem his a** about that, but help him with his goals.

well winters be a little more understanding when people cant pronounce things properly, especially when they might a different language dialect. i also do not condone street racing, so reem his a** about that, but help him with his goals.

Don't tell me what to do. :nono:

A lot of testosterone in here........

That being said, I'm going to agree with Winters. Seriously buddy, get a firm grasp on the language. How on earth can you read road signs to drive?

My Hungarian girlfriend speaks better English then you and she's only been speaking it a year!

Well you all scared him off, I doubt he'll be back. Just because he spells like a 12 year old, doesn't mean you all need to fight like 12 year olds. He probably knows how to spell but just has terrible netiquette... a simple suggestion to be more careful with spelling and grammar would have been far more useful than flat out insulting him.

A lot of testosterone in here........

That being said, I'm going to agree with Winters. Seriously buddy, get a firm grasp on the language. How on earth can you read road signs to drive?

My Hungarian girlfriend speaks better English then you and she's only been speaking it a year!

Seriously, why worry about it? Sounds like you got your hands full on your Hungarian girlfriend, typical ricer combination. Hope your windows are tinted in that thing. Just help the guy out and look around the immaturity and launguage.