1997 Mustang "Luxury" audio system???

dsmithwc04

Jun 14, 2005
Indy
I have a 1997 Cobra with the "6" radio code.

In my manual the "x" designates one of four audio systems.

"4" Premium AM/FM Cassette
"6" AM/FM/MPX, Electronic Premium Cassette
"h" AM/FM Stereo/Cassette, Electronic
"m" Luxury AM/FM Stereo Cassette

So from the factory I had the "AM/FM/MPX, Electronic Premium Cassette" Is this the Mach 460 system or is the "M" Mach 460?

I just bought this car and assumed I had the mach 460 system since the rear deck has the mach 460 speakers with both amps underneath and the dash has the third amp behind the cd player. However, the tweeters were not installed and the door panels did NOT have the cutouts for them. The car just had the standard plastic covers for the nuts holding the mirrors up. So does my car have the factory mach 460 system or is the "M" code the mach 460 system. I was thinking mine did but the previous owner took them off and put new door panels on for some reason...??? The car had an aftermarket stereo installed but the factory cassette and cd players were reinstalled before purchase but not working. I tore out the harness because the cd player portion was cut up and I put in a harness from a car with mach 460 and the harness was identical. Now I have sound (no mid or low tones) form the rear speakers and nothing up front in the door speakers and I don't have any tweeters installed yet to check but saw the plug for them behind the door handle once I removed it.

SO... was my car equiped with Mach 460 and the tweeters removed or was the rear mach 460 deck installed afterwords and it never had the tweeters to begin with?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure about the codes but If it had an after market system and they reinstalled the factory stereo it could be that they reinstalled the rear system from the 460 that wasn't in the car originally.

Are you trying to get the factory stereo to work?

Yes, that is a possibility. The only sounds I have right now are highs from the rear two speakers. I checked the ground in the drivers side kicker panel to see if it was frayed or loose as was the problem in my buddys mach 460. I just got some tweeters so I am going to hook them up and see if they work. It could be a dead amp issue and if it is I got a complete mach 460 speakers system from a local junkyard for $20. Like I said, the harness in the car appeard to be a mach 460 harness. The mach 460 harness I grabbed had N160S and the one that was in the car was N160R. The CD player part was tore up which is why I got the different mach 460 harness. If I could figure out if my car had the mach 460 originally it would expediate my trouble shooting. My buddy has a 94 cobra and the radio code is "6" as well but I'm not sure if that changed anywhere in the years.

Does anybody have the service manual for the 94 mustang? What does it say for the radio codes and description of each?