1998 Mustang -- unique?

kmdani

Jul 9, 2003
Michigan
Recently the fuel pump on my 98 Cobra started acting up. After some searching, it appears as though the 98 Mustangs were unique in a couple of areas: Exhaust and fuel. I've been searching all over the place to figure out why the 98 is different, and what can be done to make it the same.

If you check out Summit racing, you'll find two options for the 1998 Mustang (GT/Cobra): A BBK pump and a Carter. The carter flows the stock 155 lph, so I didn't research it any further. The BBK is made by Walbro, and according to the forums, the Walbro ends up crapping out.

According to 1-800-FORD-SVT, "there is something different, but I don't know what". The 1998's are still the return-style system, just like the 96-97, but the 98 has a different pump and tank .

I've called several performance shops, and they've been unable to tell me the difference.

Looking through different forums, the gas tank is, in fact, redesigned. There are reports of people "running out of gas" under WOT with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Supposedly the basin the pump sits in was redesigned.

I can't tell, however, if the fuel pump is also unique (other than physical size.) Does anyone know if Ford changed the way the pump is powered? Maybe it's amperage is variable, maybe it's voltage? I haven't been able to find any answers.

The reason I think this is such a big deal is that I would like to put a 255 lph pump in the car to prep it for a supercharger. I can still purchase the stock, 1998 only, 155 lph pump, or a 1998 only 190 lph pump. I don't have a problem changing out the tank with a 96-97 tank, but I want to make sure that the fuel pump from a 96-97 will work without any issues.

Before anyone goes on about getting an in-line boot-a-pump: I don't want one. I need to change out the pump anyhow, so I'd like to retain the factory wiring and looks. Also, I've heard nightmares about the noise the boost-a-pumps generate.

Any insight anyone may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ken

1998 Laser Red Convertible Cobra
Saddle top/interior
SLP X-Pipe
11" FRPP flywheel/clutch
Steeda tubular subframe connectors
Steeda strut tower brace

• Sponsors (?)

1998 uses a pump and sender in one unit, 1997 back had a seperate pump and sender...from what I seen the best options on a 1998 as far as a higher-output pump for the intank unit is the pump from the 03/04 Avaitor......

Do you know the process to replace the pump? Do I take the whole unit out of my tank and then pry out and replace the pump itself, or do I replace my pump/sender, as a whole unit, with the one from the Avaitor?

Also, wouldn't the Avaitor be a returnless system (since it's >= 1999), or did they change that one back to a return style?

Thanks!
Ken