1999 3.8L Ping & motor shake

1994stanggirl

Oct 12, 2007
I have a 1999 3.8L that pings almost all the time i did the tune up on it thinking that would help (new plugs, wires, air filter, egr valve) none of it helped. I have also tried all different brands of gas at the higher octane still does not work. Compared to my 1994 Gt I think this motor runs a little on the hot side but others i have talked to says the 3.8 runs hot, not sure how true this is and if i should put a new thermostat in it or not.

Also I seemed to have a motor vibration when it gets about 15oo rpm it is the worst at 60mph +. Motor mounts are good so not sure what this is all about either. If anyone has some helpful info they could give me that would be great.

I just bought the 99 mustang so i have no background on it other than what I have done to try and correct the problem.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The V6 doesn't run any hotter than other engines if it is in good operating condition. If your temperature gauge is not staying in the middle, something is wrong.

The ping may be carbon knock. If the engine ran on low-quality or contaminated fuel for a long time, or if it's running rich for some reason, it may have a lot of carbon buildup on the pistons that is causing preignition. You might try treating the engine with Seafoam and see if that helps at all. If it makes the ping and vibration go away, make sure you change your oil, since some of the carbon will have gone into the oil.

Do you have any engine trouble codes logged?

99's and 00's had bad oil baffles with allow the PCV to suck up too much oil into the intake. generally an 02-04 valvecover remidies this condition but a simple oil catch in line between the PCV and the PCV port in the intake will sovle the problem.

you should run seafoam through the PCV line to clean out oil deposits in the intake and on the valves which combined with the oil combusting is causing the pinging

read
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/pcv_filter.htm