1999 Automatic fluid?

On my modified Gt I am running Mobil 1 (what # I do not know) Is it okay to use Mobil one in my auto? Its been tuned and the shift points have been changed and I use a B&M cooler, but after searching I *think* some say not to use Mobil 1 in the tranny? True or false?

• Sponsors (?)

PistolPete79 said:
i just started using redline synthetic today when i put on my deep dish auto tran pan. but b4 i used b&m syn trick shift. the b&m worked fine 4 me though : )

Keep in mind that you need to make sure the Redline and B&M fluids are Mercon V. It appears that from Redline's website only their Synthetic D4 ATF is Mercon V. From B&M's website it would appear that none of their products are Mercon V compatible. Mercon and Mercon V are NOT interchangable. You need to make sure whatever you buy says Mercon V and not just Mercon.

Here is an application chart from the TSB issued in 2001.

87555181.jpg

Amsoil makes a universal fluid that meets Mercon V specs as well as several others.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
GM DEXRON® III, Ford MERCON & MERCON V, Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4, Allison C-4, Cat TO-2, Voith G-1363, ZF TE-ML 14C, Toyota Type T & T-IV, Mitsubishi/Hyundai SP II & III, Honda Z-1

Mobil is also supposedly working on a fully synthetic Mobil 1 ATF that will also be a universal ATF that meets most of the current specs.

I am not a big fan of universal fluids. Ford says that Mercon and Mercon V are not interchangeable. I am not sure how you can make a fluid that meets both specs. Seems to me there would have to be compromises made in order to meet such a wide range of specifications.

So here is my deal...My tranny shifts and runs perfect. I am afraid to take it somewhere (even if I supply the Mercon V) and have the suck out all my old fluid and push the new fluid in. I hear horror stories about those machines, but Iknow just dropping the pan doesn't hardly get 1/2 the fluid out and I'm gonna guess 1/2 synthetic 1/2 Mercon V isn't gonna hel pmuch either.

What should I do?

BigNutt said:
So here is my deal...My tranny shifts and runs perfect. I am afraid to take it somewhere (even if I supply the Mercon V) and have the suck out all my old fluid and push the new fluid in. I hear horror stories about those machines, but Iknow just dropping the pan doesn't hardly get 1/2 the fluid out and I'm gonna guess 1/2 synthetic 1/2 Mercon V isn't gonna hel pmuch either.

What should I do?

I have had my tranny flushed at my Ford dealer without issue.

You can do it yourself but, you will only get about 80% of the fluid. In addition to draining the pan, you can drain the torque converter. If you look at the front of the housing close to the motor you will see a black rubber grommet. If you remove that you can see the torque converter. It has a drain, you may have to turn the motor over to get the torque converter to rotate so the drain plug is accessible through the hole in the housing.

Here is a good site with lots of info on the 4R70W.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html

They also have an active forum where you will find lots of people with a lot of experience with the 4R70W.
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

If it were me I would take it to a Ford dealer and have it flushed to make sure I got all of the Mobil 1 ATF out of there. I would just go with Motorcraft Mercon V fluid. Price what they would charge with and without you supplying the fluid so you can see if it is worth it to supply your own fluid. I have a feeling it is probably cheaper to just let them supply the fluid.

Actually Motorcraft Mercon V fluid is NOT a full synthetic but, rather a synthetic blend.

The only fully synthetic fluids out there that meet the Mercon V spec are universal fluids that try to meet many specs. I think of universal fluids along the same lines as "jack of all trades, master of none." ;)