1999gt Engine Size Question?

Wilson4812

Apr 1, 2017
So I bought my 99 gt 35th anniversary edition about a year ago. The kid I bought it from said it didn't have the stock engine in it but he didn't elaborate.

A couple weeks ago when I replaced the clutch which I bought at AutoZone. It didn't fit even after going by the VIN number. Fast forward to the next day I take the old clutch in and they sold me the clutch for the cobra which fit and worked perfectly.

What I'm wondering is where do I need to look on the engine to find out exactly what size it is or if it is the actual engine out of a cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

How many bolts held the flywheel on? 6 or 8?

I believe 99-00 GTs had a flywheel similar to what came on the cobra, it changed in 2001.

A bit rusty on my 8 bolt vs 6 bolt flywheel history though

You can Google search 01 Cobra engine then 01 mustang GT engine on image search and compare. But the valve covers on the Cobra engine are huge compared to a GT. Both are 4.6L engines. Just one is single cam and the other is dual cam.

You also can't trust parts guys at AutoZone. I'm not saying there all bad but most don't know the difference from a door lock to a push rod.