2.3T swap

StangGT4U

Mar 15, 2004
I am thinking about buying a 90 or so LX mustang and was wondering how much would it cost to drop in a turbo motor and have everything running right?Also can someone give me a parts list and prices maybe? I was looking to get the 200 hp and 240 tq the 86 SVO had stock. What are the stock 1/4 miles with a good driver in an svo with a good running car? Would this perform like an SVO after the swap or how far off would I be?

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt find any prices can someone just give me an estimate how much a complete swap would be? I'm just trying to figure out if I should go with a turbo stang or stick with DSM's. I'm trying to see which gives more bang for the buck right now theres a guy on dsmtuners.com that spent only about $1000 in performance parts only not including all his other rally stuff he needed he ran a 12.1. How far can you get on one of these motors for $1000?

I read that second link great site bunch of stuff done to it that i would never want to do his mechanical skills are way beyond mine. Can you provide me with a link with someone with just a basic build up on turbo upgrades? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg just something basic I wouldnt mind a high 12 that would be a basic build up. How much hp can the stock internals handle? A DSM can handle 400 hp on stock internals how about these?

Keep your eyes open at the local wrecking yard. I picked up my 2.3T from pull and save for $120. So far been pretty luck with the shape of the engine. I picked up my turbo and intake from a guy on ebay for $100. The guys I run with use a chrysler computer to by pass all the ford emissions crap, and to burn their own chips. They have been running them in their turbo coupes, and Merkurs just fine. I am looking at roughly $400 give or take with mine. I am putting mine into a 90lx convertible. I hope to have everything running here soon before summers end. I would like to get it out to the track. I know of a few sites that people have done stuff from and sometimes it is easier to find a turbo coupe for a donor car. You can pull the ecu and engine the front and rear sway bar as well as the rear end. The rear I pulled came had LSD and bolted up to the stock Stang location pretty easily. I am also in the process of pulling my AOD for a T5. I just like being able to control my powerband. As for mechanical skill do some reading and get some people with know how and start pulling stuff apart. IMO an engine is like playing with legos just remeber what was where. Good luck on your hunt.

you can probably pic one up with an engine for less that $1500.. 1990- later have airbags, so from the safety standpoint that is the model year i would go with. but i want a race car so i plan to go with an 89 or earlier...and on top of that the earlier the cheaper, but a lot more problems..