Fox What Do You Guys Use Your Car For?

• Sponsors (?)

I was stationed at Hurlburt fld 90-93, 16th SOS.
I moved there in 90. Ford Moore was some kind of aircraft maintenence tech there at that time. Not sure if he was in your squadron, but it might have been.

As for me, I was a kid. Moved away after graduation, though I miss the area and the waters/beaches.

Only came back for Ranger School.

Reactions: 1 user
I moved there in 90. Ford Moore was some kind of aircraft maintenence tech there at that time. Not sure if he was in your squadron, but it might have been.

As for me, I was a kid. Moved away after graduation, though I miss the area and the waters/beaches.

Only came back for Ranger School.
One of my Coffee Geezer buddies was a Army Ranger for 11 years.. Team Leader when he got out.... He doesn't say much,
He and I went to Sun N Fun last year and the Apache driver and Danny had a great time talking...

I drive mine on nice days, around town. I put 2-3k miles a year on it and feel like it’s driven enough to justify owning.

For a toy, my goal is to get it safe and reliable. Then make it handle better and add more power to suit!

I finally got my 89 LX hatch back on the road last spring and I've just been going around town in it every now and again - normal stuff like running errands, dropping my kid off at school, etc. I was originally trying to make the car a decent daily driver, but it's no longer needed for that. Without a purpose for it, I have kind of lost the motivation to work on it like I was. It runs good now and I enjoy taking it out, but without a purpose I'm kind of stuck on what mods or upgrades I want to do to it. With all that being said, I was just curious what everyone else is using there car for. Figured it would be good to get some ideas on what can be done with a fox body and also see how broad this car hobby actually is.
I'm the 2nd owner of my 89 GT convertible. Only 71k and stock except for the CAI and exhaust I've put on ( I think I'll be removing the CAI). This car is my first project and has pushed my DIY skills up a notch, but I'm not a great mechanic. If it's largely a "plug and play" mod, then I'll attempt it. My injectors weren't right when I first got the car ( it sat for ten years in a parking garage) which on the 89 involved removing the upper intake, fuel rails, etc. That was way outside my comfort zone, but it needed done and I didn't have money to send it out. Miraculously, I got it all back together and it worked with no leaks or issues!

That was a lot of words to say it's remaining stock. I've done the clutch, main seal, brakes,radiator, shocks and exhaust. The tailshaft seal is leaking now and I bought 3.31 gears for it ( it has 2.73 right now) which I'm in a position to pay someone to deal with now. Especially after I did the pinion seal and it's still leaking. Most of its other issues are cosmetic and I'm not sure how far I'll go with it. I doesn't need to be perfect or a show winner, but I'd like it a bit more freshened up.

My car is a good driver and I don't really worry about getting dinged or scratched as much as if it were nicer. I'm going for a nice time capsule, Sunday driver and car cruise/show participant. Taking the family to get ice cream or putting on top down miles on a nice day. I wanted an "Aeronose" convertible since I was 10 and sat in one in a Ford showroom while my Dad shopped for a truck around 87/88. I bought my GT 4 years ago and I plan on enjoying it at least until my teenage kids learn to drive on it and maybe graduate HS. Honestly, the only other car that I'd like to own before I die is a Porsche 911. It's a wide ranging hobby for sure, having an idea or vision helps to enjoy it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, the only other car that I'd like to own before I die is a Porsche 911. It's a wide ranging hobby for sure, having an idea or vision helps to enjoy it. Good luck.
I spent two years looking for a 911.. It had to be 09 or newer ( No IMS bearing) Vert, Manual and a decent color.. NO fugly colors.... oh, low miles too
Don't do what I did and buy something else, now I will probably never have a 911...... Driven a few 911's and they are truly amazing cars.....
What years/models interest you?

Last edited:
Had a chance to buy an ‘89 911 Targa back in the early 2000s for $10k. Was in decent shape. Mechanically fine but needed cosmetics. I could have done it as it was all right up my alley.

I said “nah….im a Mustang guy”

Kicking myself on that one.

After the Mustang, I’m a Porsche guy. I keep telling myself I’ll get a Cayenne or Macan one day…

918 Spyder next for you, Mike!

1707531164724.png

It used to be daily driven when new for over 10 years, but now after years of replacing and renewing, it doesn't get driven much, quite frankly I'm becoming increasingly worried about damaging it. But it has been satisfying to hear more and more people starting to appreciate these cars and I'll never sell it.

PicsArt_01-25-11.28.59.jpg

Last edited:
  • Loved It!
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I spent two years looking for a 911.. It had to be 09 or newer ( No IMS bearing) Vert, Manual and a decent color.. NO fugly colors.... oh, low miles too
Don't do what I did and buy something else, now I will probably never have a 911...... Driven a few 911's and they are truly amazing cars.....
What years/models interest you?
It’s so far down the road that I haven’t looked into it much. I love the air cooled cars but I don’t think I’ll be able to touch one ever. But I’ve always loved the 911

That's my Harley. I haven't ridden it in nearly 10 years, but I refuse to sell it. I always say I'm going to, but I can't make myself get rid of it.
Once its gone its gone...
I still have my 2004 ZX-10R that belonged to my best friend before he passed. He and I used to ride together all the time (on my old ZX-10R) but after he passed and his family (just brother/sister left) didn't have an interest in bikes I made a deal to buy his bike as it was his baby, his prize possession. I rode it for a few years for sure, but then when life got busy with kids and work I now haven't ridden it on the street since like 2019. This summer however, I might get it back going and take it on another track day as that's how he and I used to use these bikes all the time, I just gotta get my fat butt in shape first.

Reactions: 1 users