2 months of trying to figure out ticking, and still no better off then when I started

fordman54935

Jan 10, 2003
Wisconsin
Well guys, I think this is the 3rd thread I've started about my engine ticking. Here is a link to the last one - http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=540063&highlight=lifter

I'm not sure what else to do. I replaced the pushrods with new 6.272" FRPP ones thinking that might be the problem since my old ones measured about 6.250 (not bent). Still ticks. Tried to isolate it more with a stethescope, found a few that seemed SLIGHTLY louder than the rest, and had 0.010" machined from those pedestals. Still ticks. I checked for side to side play of the roller rockers while the engine is running, and it checks out OK, they all had about .008-.010" side play, which I consider normal (heck they are retained by snap rings). I checked out the header gaskets, they look fine (because they are brand new) and all bolts are tight. Collector and H-pipe bolts are tight. It seems really strange because even with the stethescope I cannot pinpoint the noise. It is most noticeable at about 2000 rpm, while deccelerating. Its f-ing loud though, I can hear it at 60 MPH. The car runs perfectly. This engine has 56,000 miles on it, and the heads are new Thumper ported E7's. The cam is a Comp 270HR, with FRPP 1.6 roller rockers. This combination of parts made NO valvetrain noise before I put the new heads on. I also have the dual valve springs on the new heads (cam has 0.533" gross lift). Is one of my lifters begging for mercy under the new springs? I really appreciate the advice you guys have given me in the previous threads. I built this f-ing thing, and i'm not going to let it win!

• Sponsors (?)

i had the same problem after i built my engine. it turned out to be on the exhaust crossover on the lower intake. one of the bolts was letting it leak. i had NO noise with a stethescope on the valvetrain, i went through everything your doing now.

one day we found it somehow. mine also made the most noise at 2k. would be one hell of a coincidence (sp?) if you got the same thing. i wish you luck, i spent HOURS trying to figure it out also.

so frustrating when things dont make sense and your out of idea's.

Just so we are on the same page here....are you talking about that passage in the center of intake side of the cylinder heads that connects to the intake? I like the sounds of what I'm hearing, as I can hear the noise if I listen to the lower intake manifold (along with just about everwhere else I put the scope). So how did you fix this? I think your really onto something here.

do you have your old stock set of rocker arms? I am going through the same mess as yourself. I finally put my old rocker arms back onto mind you AFR 185's (pedestal mount heads). Well as soon as I fire the motor up the NOISE is COMPLETELY GONE!!! but hell I still have some other damn noise as well. don't let it get to you man. I have been at this for 6 weeks. I have 3 grand into this motor.

maybe the lower gasket has shifted? are the bolts torqued properly? i always used the pattern in the chilton manual since i had it memorized after my horrific engine build experience.

what happened with mine was the heli-coil stripped out of my head, so i didnt even have a bolt in there. we DID put a bolt in there and hold it down hard with a finger and it made no difference, so the smallest leak can make all kinds of noise.

does it stay pretty consistant with the rpm's? like if they fluctuate at idle it will do it also? i tried everything like i said, i replaced header gaskets, over and over.

yes, that is exactly where im talking about on the center of the lower intake at the crossover. maybe try to torque the bolts again, make sure it has an even seal.

I doubt you have issues with a vacuum leak. you said it yourself your car runs great I would suspect your car to run like crap if it had a vacuum leak. I say swap out the rocker arms with your old set.

I do have a set of stock rockers layin around, not from this engine though. When I bought the car it had the roller rockers on it, with the same cam thats in it now. I'm still trying not to point my finger at the rockers because they did there job silently before I put the new heads on, and they spent all winter individually oiled and sealed in ziplock bags. That and I've spent all this time messing with rockers/valvetrain stuff, and havent made it any better. That is something I will try if i do get frustrated enough though.

fordman54935 said:
Just so we are on the same page here....are you talking about that passage in the center of intake side of the cylinder heads that connects to the intake?

Those center ports on the heads/intake are the EGR ports. I had a detonation (pinging/ticking) problem with any timing about 10 degrees. It turned out that when my engine builder put the intake on, he blocked the EGR ports by mistake. Are you running an EGR valve?

View attachment 514351
View attachment 514353

I still am running EGR. I will have to check the lower intake bolts to make sure they are still torqued. I did use the chiltons torque procedure. I dont think that the gasket shifted at all, i did use gasket sealer with the non-print-o-seal gaskets I used.

I suggest using some "gorrilla" snot. works great just use a small, very small amount of it to keep a gasket in place. thats what I used when assembling the oil pan, lower intake etc. good luck man

If your car is detonating at idle or under deceleration you've got more problems than too much advance. I've had this problem with my last 2 stangs.. the first one ended up being a spark plug had backed out about a 1/4 turn and air was getting out through there. This time, I still haven't found it. It's most noticable around 2k. It's a very defined "puff-puff" type sound under deceleration but at idle it sounds more like a "tick-tick". I've been driving myself crazy for a month or so now, so let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same. I can't pinpoint it with a stethescope, but it's most noticable from outside the car by the front passenger wheel.