2000 GT: More Cobra stuff

Wired up and first test.

IMG_7416.jpeg

Functionality is all there. Need to wire in my rear camera and the reverse light trigger.

But the issue I have is with the Metra 70-5510 harness. It sucks. This connector blows

I can’t get the connector to seat right, so I lose speakers due to poor connection. One side works, then only the rear, then one front. Any bounce and I lose a pair of speakers. Ordered another one to test it out.

IMG_7418.jpeg

Here’s my rear camera. I want to test it first before installing it

IMG_7419.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Fixed the harness issue. Had to cut it up to insert the pins better. A little cludgey, but it works. Tinkering a bit with the EQ settings really dials it in. Radio never sounded this good with the stock head unit. Well…sounds decent for a 24 year old system. let’s not get carried away. I might add a small sub/amp to the setup. 100-150watts

IMG_7429.jpeg
IMG_7432.jpeg

Interior done. Still gotta wire in the rear view camera. Wire connected just need to install in trunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Rear camera done. Also found an adapter to replace the cig lighter with that connects to the radio. So now I have a convienent USB in.

IMG_7528.jpeg

That’s really it for interior. I do have the silver IuP radio bezel, so I’ll swap that in once I find the matching shifter bezel.

Left on my to-do list.

Alignment
Hood scoop install
Paint correction.
Replace leaking ac line (on order)
Also need to replace the gas tank filler seal.

Sound prob give the car a wash and then work on the hood first so I can install the scoop.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Pulled the cluster, swapped in some size 74 LEDs

Camera adds to the intensity. It’s not as bright in real life. It’s just a nice clean even blue now.

IMG_7565.jpeg

Next up, gotta swap out the HVAC bulbs. Then I’ll have to work on swapping out the green LeDs in the 2001+ buttons and swapping them to blue to match the 94-00 shade of blue Ford used

IMG_7566.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Next on the list is to fix the ac once and for all. It worked, but I had a leak. I found the source of the leak and ordered a new line.

Discovered ford just discontinued the line I needed, but Rockauto had them on “wholesaler clearance”. Timing couldn’t be better. As you may know, I prefer OE ford stuff vs aftermarket

I’ll have to wait for warmer weather to charge.

IMG_7575.jpeg

Last edited:
Small stuff today.

Installed the LEDs in the HVaC. Just two 198 white LEDs.

This is the OE blue. On my list is to swap out the LEDs in the 01+ buttons since those are green. I have some spare buttons so I’ll dissect one to get the LED specs to buy some blue LEDs. Was able to match the radio buttons as well.

IMG_7602.jpeg

Since I had the bezel on, I mounted my phone mount. Wanted this handy as I take work calls and wanted it up so I can mute/unmute.

IMG_7599.jpeg

Debating my next project. AC, PI intake, or start paint correcting and mount my hood scoop.

Other minor things I want to get done before spring cruising:
-Change trans fluid
-Replace trans mount
-Change rear diff fluid

I may have to rebuild the traction-lok. I get the feeling this car does a 1-wheel peel. I might hold off on the doff fluid service until i get to that stage. I'll likely DIY, not intimidated by that work

Finally I need new tires. The tires on the current wheels are 8 year old summer performance tires. I want to put on an all-season. I like the polished wheels on my Foxbody, and they are an 9.5 out of 10 in terms of condition (i bought them as 500 mile take-offs back in 2004, put maybe 200 miles on them). I also REALLY like bullitt wheels on the 99-04 cars. My 2003 GT had them, and since i'm reconfiguring this car to 01-04 appearance inside and out, that's the wheel I want to run.

Since I plan on driving this a lot, I wanted to address the spare tire situation after putting cobra brakes on.

So I picked up a pretty much unused 17” cobra spare. Hopefully I’ll never need to use it but at least now o don’t have to play musical wheels if I get a front flat.

IMG_7818.jpeg

However I just realized I don’t have a lug wrench. Need to measure my lugs and get one.

Top down shot of new recovered seats and interior. Was warm enough to drop top and go around the block. Almost 60 today. Still need alignment.

Noreaster due on Tue. Today is what we call “false spring”. 2nd winter starts Tue.

IMG_7846.jpeg
IMG_7844.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Finally got around to swapping over the silver Interior Upgrade Package trim. I had this in my ‘03GT, so it’s back for second car.

IMG_7907.jpeg
IMG_7908.jpeg

Looking back at when I first got the car, we’ve come a long way.
IMG_7911.jpeg

Backing out of garage today. Realized I left the snowblower too close to one side and said “I can squeeze it through”

Nope. Caught the edge of the door.
IMG_8009.jpeg

IMG_8013.jpeg

Managed to snag a pretty clean replacement off eBay for $30/shipped.

Ok how bout some good news then.

Decided it was time to work on paint. I’m not expecting much, but this made my day. An hour or so of work with a buffer and waxing and end result of drivers fender.

Starting point.
IMG_8017.jpeg

And where I ended up.
IMG_8022.jpeg

IMG_8024.jpeg

IMG_8020.jpeg

There are deep scratches and such, so I’ll never get this paint perfect. But what a difference! Just this one fender alone gives me hope that this $1k beater will end up being a pretty darn nice car.

Last edited:
worked on the drivers door and called it a day. Tedious work. Wish the pics came out better as they don’t do the car justice. Just these two alone have me looking at this car completely different. Before I was envious of new edge guys with decent paint. Now…I might be ok.

IMG_8029.jpeg
IMG_8033.jpeg

Working ont he rear quarter next. I think I’m going to remove the side scoop and the lower rocker trim and do them off the car. The scoop is shinier because I put the 01+ scoops on the car so this one came from a different car. But you can see by the rear quarter how oxidized it was. That’s how the door and front fender looked too.

IMG_8032.jpeg
IMG_8031.jpeg

Nice work sir :nice: That car has come a long way since you got it.
worked on the drivers door and called it a day. Tedious work. Wish the pics came out better as they don’t do the car justice. Just these two alone have me looking at this car completely different. Before I was envious of new edge guys with decent paint. Now…I might be ok.

I feel the same way about my 89 GT. The red was so oxidized when I got it. A lot of elbow grease brought that old original single stage right back. Then I had the titanium ground effects repainted. Now I am on the fence whether I want to keep daily driving the thing because it looks fairly decent. My car is by no means perfect but it is no longer a beater either.

Worked on the rear quarter. Pulled the scoop. I’ll do that off the car.

Looks wet, but it’s not. Came out so nice.
IMG_8038.jpeg
IMG_8040.jpeg

Ok. I’ll post some pics when completely done. Stopping here for now and no idea when I’ll get to the other panels. Front and rear bumper will likely be the trickiest.

• Love