2000 mustang misfire cylinder 5 help

jacklynjanish

May 20, 2011
Hey just bought a 2000 v6 from a dealer 150K. when i bought it checked the fluids n stuff all ok oil about a quart over filled so did oils change first thing. Also when i did test drive noticed it was jumpin alot like it was missin but no check engin light was on. So i bought anyways and as sson as i pulled off the lot light comes on :) so i changed all the spark plugs and 2 wires need replaced as well. Noticed middle plug (5) smelled strongly on gas, none of the others did it was also one of the ones needing a new wire. So i reset the codes and ran the car it blinked out the code and then stayed off? Got late so i just came home. I asked around some one said oring in that injector could need replaced? really not sure what to think any advice on something else to check or do, do i need to change the fuel injector? is this going to be a long/hard process also what do shops usually charge i have never put a car in a shop please help in kc area :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Please post the full DTC codes. There are 1000's and they each have a story to tell. Almost all autoparts stores will download for free.

FWIIW, the check engine light will blink when an active misfire is occuring.

Before changing alot of parts, double check the spark plug routing and connections. Are you sure that the spark plug wires are correct at the coil pack?

The #5 injector has to be firing at least some of the time. Otherwise, how would it have the smell of fuel? Continue to focus on an ignition problem until you are positive that the spark is perfect.