2004 mustang e.t's

• Sponsors (?)

if you want 12's with as little work as possible, get a mach 1. DR's, exhaust, and a shifter will get you there easy and you still have a basically stock car

if you want to go faster, get a gt. forge the block and run a stupid amount of boost through it (15+psi). low 11's with traction. you can supercharge a mach 1 but it's easier and cheaper to do it to a gt

speed can be had with all 3, but it really comes down to whether you want a car or a truck.
btw, would you get a 5spd or auto stang?

Mach 1!!!

Yeah i finally decided. The mach caught my eye especially the competition orange. They got an azure blue one at my local dealer, but i went to one closer to work they got 2 comp orange's. I told the guy im not ready to buy till april or may. He obviously insisted on me buying before jan 1st for the great incentives they were good ($24,143 with A plan) Im not buying a car like that during winter.

Its not that easy...and takes a few more mods than that.

If it were that easy everyone would just do that and rape all the ls1's on the block. Its just not. The best time i've ever seen for a mildly modded 99-04 GT was the following:

12.95 1/4 mile with these mods
1) upgraded clutch
2) nitto drag radials
3) catback, offroad pipe
4) k&n filter
5) 3.73 gears
6) shifter

(sorry i just realized you put on there cams which would probably get those times but thats alot of trouble to get into the 12's and most people that replace their stock cams with more aggressive ones are going to do an entire rebuild.)

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
You'll spend 3000 on boltons...whats the point in doing that when you can put that towards a supercharger?

kirkyg

where do you come up with this stuff? I barely have 2000 into my mods and I could have ran 12s if I went with a more drastic setup then what I have and still spent the same amount of money. I could have went with 4.30 gears and ET streets or Mickey I's for the same price and BAM I got 12s. It really isnt that hard when you pay attention to what is available. Im only getting a 2.0 sixty foot( a little afraid to launch good and hard) and Im running low 13s. No power shifting either.

It doesn't really take that much. You have to get the right stuff that works. It also helps to get stuff on sale and used like I did with some of my minor stuff.

Nick

kirkyg said:
Its not that easy...and takes a few more mods than that.

If it were that easy everyone would just do that and rape all the ls1's on the block. Its just not. The best time i've ever seen for a mildly modded 99-04 GT was the following:

12.95 1/4 mile with these mods
1) upgraded clutch
2) nitto drag radials
3) catback, offroad pipe
4) k&n filter
5) 3.73 gears
6) shifter

(sorry i just realized you put on there cams which would probably get those times but thats alot of trouble to get into the 12's and most people that replace their stock cams with more aggressive ones are going to do an entire rebuild.)

kirkyg

Granted, you can run 12's without doing cams, and you're right it takes a lot more than what I listed (minus the cams). You says cams are too much trouble. I won't disagree, but I will say that the trouble was well worth it for picking up .4 seconds in the 1/4 for $550 and a day's work.

What cam profiles? I mean it just seems alot more $ concious to spend the money on forged internals when you have the engine out. That is a nice gain...but i dont think without forged internals you can really push the rpms you need to use those cams.

kirkyg

:nonono:

you wont need forged internals with a high lift cam, like the COMP 550/550 234/238 cam. You wont be reving much higher than stock because the heads cant flow much. Now when you start getting those heads to flow and revving out to like 7000 or higher then yeah, a forged bottom end would be nice.

Thats what im trying to say...until you get can get your engine to breath better your nto going to take advantage of the cams. Anyone have any idea what cams will do on a stock setup? .4 tenths seems like alot with no port work.

kirkyg

Feel free to look up the results from my cam install there very little (a few bumps in the curve) losses in low end torque. My car picked up power throughout the power band and I have stock untouched heads. Dave's car picked up .4's but weather had a good part to do with that. Based on his example my car picked up .6's from cams. I was running 12.7's at 1500-1800' DA and went 12.15 at near sea level DA. In reality the car picked up .3's with only the cams being the difference. This is with my peak power moving up from 5200 RPM to approximately 5800 RPM. My new shift points are at 6500 RPM and I'm doing this on the stock bottom end that has 109K miles on it. Forged internals are not necessary to rev this high.

Bill

GotMustangs said:
He Bill, I know this is :OT: , but about how many pass down the 1320 does your poor stock bottom end have on it? These modulars seem to go forever. :nice:

I have a bit over 700 slips recorded in my database but that doesn't include aborted runs, missed gears and about 50 or so that I lost. They are great motors...IF they are maintained properly.

Bill