2005 Roush gauge cluster issue

optionizerSS

Apr 23, 2023
Just picked up a 2005 Roush Stage 1. 200 mile drive home but noticed my gauges were way off. Speedometer was reading 10 MPH at one point while I was on the highway doing about 60 then another time it was reading 130 when I was doing about 40. Tach seemed low then it went to below 0. Fuel gauge was stuck at full until I stopped to fill it up then it was way past full. Read a little about the steppers going bad?
Thoughts or ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

1708137376529.png

Just picked up a 2005 Roush Stage 1. 200 mile drive home but noticed my gauges were way off. Speedometer was reading 10 MPH at one point while I was on the highway doing about 60 then another time it was reading 130 when I was doing about 40. Tach seemed low then it went to below 0. Fuel gauge was stuck at full until I stopped to fill it up then it was way past full. Read a little about the steppers going bad?
Thoughts or ideas?

Yup, you've hit the nail on the head. It's the gauge stepper motors that have gone bad.

Yup, you've hit the nail on the head. It's the gauge stepper motors that have gone bad.
yeah i ordered new steppers yesterday so will swap those later this week. Have to finish our 1995 first though. I had a tiny AF leak so bought a new timing cover and water pump. Ordered all new hoses and still waiting for those to come but have it all apart. Gonna try to get the cover, pump and balancer back on tomorrow. My mother is buying that off of us and its in the 2 car garage so the Roush is in the 1 car garage with no room to work on it so gotta get the 1995 done and out of there. Hopefully next weekend I can get the steppers done. I have all the soldering tools including a desoldering tool.

Just a follow-up...replaced the steppers a couple of weeks ago. All was good till 1 time I started it and my 1/2 tank was reading full but then it fixed itself. All good now except my tach is about 400 RPM low so have to adjust that