2005 Roush not downshifting

optionizerSS

Apr 23, 2023
Picked up a 2005 Stage 1 Friday and felt like it had a higher stall convertor. Took it out today and realized it isn't downshifting. If I manually downshift into 1st and go through the gears it shifts fine but if I leave it in drive it starts out in 3rd gear. Assuming some shift solenoid in the trans?
Apparently there is no trans dipstick so can't check it but since it shifts firm I'm guessing clutches and fluid is all good?
Any idea on where to look next? No CEL on either.
BTW-car has 33,000 miles. Almost seems like it has a sport mode for manual shifting but doubt thats the case and no idea how to put it back to normal if that is the case?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

So took it out again and did some full throttle shifts. It seemed to bog when it shifted. Kind of like when you shift a manual. Did it shifting into 2nd and 3rd. At part throttle it shifts nice and crisp when shifting manually.
Asked around about local trans shops to see if they could scan it somehow but nobody knows of any around here (north of Pittsburgh, PA)

Went back out again. When in '3' (3rd) and I get on it it won't downshift but when it's in D and you get on it it will downshift. Leaning towards the trans solenoid but I'm not a trans guy.
Thoughts?

ok. so i lost my toolbox privileges for 1 week. Turns out 3rd is underdrive so if you run it in 3rd it stays in 3rd. Went out today and left it in D with the O/D button off and it worked fine

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user