2007 GT Differential Bearing Issue

gsgoode

Jun 4, 2018
Vernon, AL
While doing differential work on a 2007 Mustang GT, I encountered something that I can't figure out. I pulled the seals and then attempted to pull the axle bearings.The bearing cage was plastic, so it broke into pieces. I removed it and thought it would be a simple matter of pulling the race. What race? It looks like the bearings are running directly inside the differential housing. There is also an inner seal behind the bearing. How does the bearing get lube with an inner seal?
The axles that I removed measure about 1.625" where the bearing runs. They don't look like stock axles. They are not necked down at the splines. The Moser axles that I thought I was going to install measure about 1.655", which is what the new bearings that I purchased measure I.D.
The diff is 10-bolt. I count 31 splines on the axles that I removed. All my aftermarket items have fit thus far - 1-piece driveshaft, upper & lower control arms, Eibach lowering kit, panhard bar, etc.
I'm at a loss, totally confused. Photos attached.

Attachments

• Diff_1.JPG
    Diff_1.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Diff_3.JPG
    Diff_3.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Diff_2.JPG
    Diff_2.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Sponsors (?)

Is that perhaps an offset axle saver bearing? You can find a pic of the axle savers at autozone dot com or any of the others. It might not explain the Axle size, but if the axle saver comes out, you might still be good.

I got them out about an hour ago. They are definitely axle savers. I thought the part that was protruding was part of the housing. It was the body of the axle saver.
I apparently measured the existing axles wrong. They can't be smaller. It appears that the new bearings and seals are going to fit without a problem. I don't know why the previous owner installed them. The axles are not badly worn. I guess he thought they must be better because they're bigger.
The protruding part also explained why I couldn't push the axles in enough to remove the clips. 4 hours in, I took a Dremel and butchered the spider gear spring. I got the axles out. I'm putting in a Truetrac anyway. You know, a "Detroit" Truetrac, the one with "Made in Taiwan" proudly stamped on it. I hope the quality is still the same.
I appreciate your reply.