275/40's all around.....good idea or not?

Chowder Head

Dec 30, 2003
Tampa, FL
So I'm shopping for tires and would love to hear what the other fellow 94-95 owners say about this set up. I orginally was going to go with 275/40 in the back and 255/45 in the front, but since I can't rotate my tires, which will make them last a lot longer, I was thinking the same size all around.

Anyway can anyone comment on 275/40 all around? Any rough steering, ride quality issues, etc?

Lastly, the rims are going to be 17x9 Steeda Ultralite II's with Firestone Fire Hawk Wide Oval tires.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

lol, i just saw you on corral.net

Ive heard that some people have trouble with rubbing with 265's where as some people dont. Some cars are just different I guess. I just got 4 new tires and I went with 315 out back, and 255 up front. If I were getting the same size tirea all around Id prolly go with 265 all around and hope is dosent rub up front. The stories about them not rubbing far outweigh the ones about them rubbing though.

My car is stock ride height, but I do plan to lower it. Not right now, but in the future.

I can lower a car with 275/40, correct? And I'm assuming it's a noticable drop, both visually, and improved steering?

Green GT, yeah, when I need a big decision, I usually post the same question on two boards. Get more opinions, lol.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, keep em coming! :)

i run 255s front / 275s back bc the 275s stick out a little past the fender in the front. not bad tho. i can understand why you want them all around to rotate - more practical.

Chowder Head said:
Anyway can anyone comment on 275/40 all around? Any rough steering, ride quality issues, etc?

Lastly, the rims are going to be 17x9 Steeda Ultralite II's with Firestone Fire Hawk Wide Oval tires.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
I'm not lowered at all and I have a bit of rub on my swaybar at wheel lock. With that said, I love the 275/40's all around and wouldn't change it.

And damn you for running my wheels :jester:
mustang01.jpg

Attachments

• mustang01.jpg
    mustang01.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 52
Just get the 275's even if the rub it will be at full lock or very close to it. Unless you have a upgraded sway bar or are lowered a good bit.

<= Run 275/35/18 on the Cobra and 275/45/17 on a v6 without much problems.

illwood, thanks for reminding me why I just bought those today. :lol:

And thank you all for your replies. I'm 98% set on the 275 but for comparison sake, how would they compare to the 255/45's all around both visually different and the difference in handling/ride quality?

Thank you all for helping me decide. If the 275's only rub on wheel lock going around 2mph, I can deal with that.

Chowder Head said:
illwood, thanks for reminding me why I just bought those today. :lol:

And thank you all for your replies. I'm 98% set on the 275 but for comparison sake, how would they compare to the 255/45's all around both visually different and the difference in handling/ride quality?

Thank you all for helping me decide. If the 275's only rub on wheel lock going around 2mph, I can deal with that.
I can't comment on the 255's, but the 275's look real good and I went from 245/45's on the stock tri-bars to 275's and I don't have any decreased ride quality.

The only thing I've noticed is that you "feel" the road more. I'm betting that the wider tire gives the road some more mechanical advantage against the steering system and potholes can pull you more if you're not ready for them.

I run 275's all the way around. The ride is the same. That has to do more with the sidewall. You do feel the road a bit more and the road might pull the steering wheel around a bit more because of the additional contact to the road. I have a moderate drop (Not slammed) and I only have a slight rub on full lock. Overall, I love my 275's. Just imagine all that tire when your pushing the front end into a corner hard, it's not going anywhere.
- Justin

badstang123 said:
I run 275's all the way around. The ride is the same. That has to do more with the sidewall. You do feel the road a bit more and the road might pull the steering wheel around a bit more because of the additional contact to the road. I have a moderate drop (Not slammed) and I only have a slight rub on full lock. Overall, I love my 275's. Just imagine all that tire when your pushing the front end into a corner hard, it's not going anywhere.
- Justin
Oh, so the 275's provide more traction because it's a fatter tire?

Also, illwood, does your front wheels stick out a bit or are they nestled in just right? I've heard people say they stick out and others say they're fine. Another opinon never hurts!

Thanks again everyone.

Chowder Head said:
Oh, so the 275's provide more traction because it's a fatter tire?

Also, illwood, does your front wheels stick out a bit or are they nestled in just right? I've heard people say they stick out and others say they're fine. Another opinon never hurts!

Thanks again everyone.
The 275's are pretty well flush with the front fender. It's only the rears that look a little stupid because the tires are inboard a bit. That's why I want to run a '99-'04 rear-end to widen the track width without wheel spacers.