275HP V6 Anyone?

rygenstormlocke

former 10 second badass
Aug 13, 2005
Northern Virginia
I thought this would get your attention. I was looking for exhaust parts and decided to check with West Coast Performance Parts on Ebay. I bought my first fog light kit from them and they have a good track record. Anyway I was searching for an H pipe for my ride and they were advertising a JBA kit, true duals with H pipe. Sounded interesting so I'm reading about this kit and they have the following in the write up for it:

"You are purchasing a Cat Back, Bolt on, Dual Exhaust System built specificly for your V6 Mustang New from JBA. This is a true Dual system and as such will require you to cut your pipes before the Y. The instructions come complete with specific cutting instructions. This is the same system used in our 275 HP, V6 Mustang, our 245GTS seen in the pictures. To get 275 HP our of your V6, ask us how!"

This definitely got me interested cause I don't know anyone hitting this yet with thier V6. So I sent Charlie an email on how he is doing this and what mod's he is using. Don't be suprised if he responds with a lot of JBA gear, he resells a lot of it.

I'll keep everyone posted, 275HP before nitrous sounds pretty damn nice. Here is a link to the product:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...emQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ7997809649QQtcZphoto

Later

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, as usual Charlie responded quite quickly. The list of mod's isnt suprising. I doubt he dyno'd his "GTS" since he is basing gains on mfg. Here is what he says, what do you all think:

Thanks for your inquiry. Here is how we calculated the HP...The HP is calculated based on manufacturer claims and starts with Ford's 210 HP claim, which I believe is not rear wheel. We figure it like this:

Stock V6: 210
JBA Headers: 25 (claimed 25+)
JBA True Duals: 10 (claimed 10+)
Computer Reprogramming: 20 (Claimed 10% or 20.1 HP)
Cold Air Intake: 10 (claimed 16+)

The car in the picture is an automatic...the smoke would be significantly more if it were a manual. Our 245GTS goes like a bat out of @#%$ and handles like a go cart. We build the 245GTS for customers. Each mod made a noticeable difference in performance. If you have an automatic, the computer makes a huge difference in transmission and throttle response. Each other mod also made a difference with the dual exhaust making the least noticeable performance difference but the best change in sound and looks.

Hope this helps if you have any other questions, Please let me know.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Charlie
West Coast Performance Parts

I guess the 275HP is at the flywheel.. Which would mean at the wheels a number
closer to 233RWHP.. Which sounds absolutley believable.. I think this is a realistic claim..

You understand that there is a huge difference if the 275HP was at the wheels? This would mean the Flywheel HP is around 325HP.. This would cause the earth to rotate on its axis.. LOL!!

You know, this is a really good number.. I would be completeley happy with 275RWHP.. With the way our cars feel right now, that would feel totally insane..

This takes me back to PowerHouses Nitrous work.. Can you even begin to imagine what 439RWTQ(@ Launch) feels like in our cars? Or even the 299RWHP and 300RWTQ Powerhouses setup actually delivers? I cant even imagine how that feels in our cars.. We will all find out eventually though.

rygenstormlocke said:
Ok, as usual Charlie responded quite quickly. The list of mod's isnt suprising. I doubt he dyno'd his "GTS" since he is basing gains on mfg. Here is what he says, what do you all think:

Thanks for your inquiry. Here is how we calculated the HP...The HP is calculated based on manufacturer claims and starts with Ford's 210 HP claim, which I believe is not rear wheel. We figure it like this:

Of all the claims listed, I think that the headers are the most "generous" (read: exaggerated)

The gain from headers for our cars is probably less than 1/2 the 25 HP

has anyone Dyno'd a 4.0 V6 after adding just the headers?!

HP doesn't add up nice and neat like that. It would be nice if it really did. Powerhouse said that of all the mods he did, the headers gained the least HP. I personally wouldn't buy from WC because of the way they are spamming the mustangforums.com 4.0 forum.

rygenstormlocke said:

The car in the picture is an automatic...the smoke would be significantly more if it were a manual. Our 245GTS goes like a bat out of @#%$ and handles like a go cart. We build the 245GTS for customers. Each mod made a noticeable difference in performance. If you have an automatic, the computer makes a huge difference in transmission and throttle response. Each other mod also made a difference with the dual exhaust making the least noticeable performance difference but the best change in sound and looks.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Charlie
West Coast Performance Parts

Unfortunately, as interesting as this appears, it is all moot and of very little actual value without a verified dyno. Claims are like infomercials. You can claim whatever you want until it just gets too unbelievable.

Do the dyno, then it will have value.

rygenstormlocke said:
I thought this would get your attention. I was looking for exhaust parts and decided to check with West Coast Performance Parts on Ebay. I bought my first fog light kit from them and they have a good track record. Anyway I was searching for an H pipe for my ride and they were advertising a JBA kit, true duals with H pipe. Sounded interesting so I'm reading about this kit and they have the following in the write up for it:

"You are purchasing a Cat Back, Bolt on, Dual Exhaust System built specificly for your V6 Mustang New from JBA. This is a true Dual system and as such will require you to cut your pipes before the Y. The instructions come complete with specific cutting instructions. This is the same system used in our 275 HP, V6 Mustang, our 245GTS seen in the pictures. To get 275 HP our of your V6, ask us how!"

This definitely got me interested cause I don't know anyone hitting this yet with thier V6. So I sent Charlie an email on how he is doing this and what mod's he is using. Don't be suprised if he responds with a lot of JBA gear, he resells a lot of it.

I'll keep everyone posted, 275HP before nitrous sounds pretty damn nice. Here is a link to the product:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...emQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ7997809649QQtcZphoto

Later

hmmmm... I'm running a CAI with solid tube, a custom tune and a Magnaflow single axle back.... Based on my 194 RWHP i'm gussing I'm somewhere between 230 and 240HP... I don't think I could pick up another 35 to 45HP just buy putting on headers and a dual exhaust...

As far as hiting 275... check back with me in a couple of weeks... hehehehehe...

rygenstormlocke said:
The car in the picture is an automatic...the smoke would be significantly more if it were a manual.

Dang...I wish I would have had my camcorder last weekend! I was showing off (yes, i'm 12 years old!) doing a burnout... The car is absolutely smoking... next thing I know the car SHIFTS TO 2ND and keeps on spinning the tires!!! I must have laid a good 80 feet of twin stripes!!! Even I was impressed!!!

Oh... and I have to agree... you simply just can't add up claimed gains... And I seriously doubt anyone who thinks we can get 25HP by putting on headers... LOL!

I think it was pwrhouse who said he said like a 4 hp gain after adding headers with his nos setup.. those numbers are total BS in my opinion.. very generous if not exaggerated entirely.

Zodiac said:
I think it was pwrhouse who said he said like a 4 hp gain after adding headers with his nos setup.. those numbers are total BS in my opinion.. very generous if not exaggerated entirely.

FWIW.... Couple of performance guys, who I trust, looked at my manifold and they've commented that they thought they were pretty well designed and didn't think I would get much of a gain from headers...

scrming said:
FWIW.... Couple of performance guys, who I trust, looked at my manifold and they've commented that they thought they were pretty well designed and didn't think I would get much of a gain from headers...

I think the only thing you gain from headers is a better sound.

I agree w/ John on headers

scrming said:

I've been wrangling on JBA headers for a while. I agree w/ John. Yes, the JBA headers for the V6 certainly are a high quality American Made product:flag: and have a lot of unique custom features to them (coatings, nice long runners etc. the kind of stuff that us gearheads appreciate) but there is nothing wrong w/ the stock exhaust manifolds, either. If you check the 2005 mustang product guide they discuss how the exhaust manifolds on the V6 were enhanced for better flow than the standard headers usually put on this motor in the Ford Explorer/Ranger trucks. I had a friend of mine park her car next to mine (4.0 Explorer) and we compared motors. Sure enough you can see the longer-tubes on the Mustang headers. If they had put the same paper-airplane-folded headers on the mustang motor that they do in the explorer, going to JBA headers would be a no-brainer & a first needed mod. JBA would have sold 50,000 pairs by now :rolleyes: I have nothing against JBA as the JBA headers certainly look more custom & higher performance than a set of rusty-lookin' Ford manifolds, but I would not make JBA headers my very first mod. If ever I go to true-duals from my single Axle-Back Borla setup, I might consider it. If you ran higher temp and built your V6 to 700 RWHP like John has :D maybe headers should be on the list.

fazm...you're right... they have a dyno chart on their website. I think we'd get about the same results on our cars. Feels that way to me (I have jba headers and y-pipe duals)