302 Engine

pittsburgh

Active User
Mar 23, 2014
Hello i got a 82 gt with a 302 carb motor.t5 trans .looking to get someone to build it . i know stock h.p. is roughly 150. Looking for something in the 300 h.p range. Any suggestions and parts budget roughly 4k. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Heads cam intake and headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust with mandrel bent pipes, 625 cfm carb and try to squeeze in a 355 gear in the budget will get you on the road to wasting the rear tires, budget aluminum heads if you can and talk to a cam company about what cam you'll need, if you shop around some things can be had on the cheap but the real proformance stuff should be matched like heads cam intake just don't fall into the trap of bigger is better. Some heads need different rocker arms and specific headers, you likely don't need that head, shorty headers are good enought for most, long tube headers do offer more lowend torque so that is a consideration.
Now, lets see some pics of that potential money pit and keep us up on what your do'n to it.

Work in progress

Attachments

• 20160724_083954.jpg
    20160724_083954.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 user
$4k will get you there. Will you be doing any of the work? Anything you can do will mean more money for parts.

An HCI swap for sure. With a 625-650 carburetor, parts will be in the $3k area.

I'm not really sure what a mechanic would charge to do the work though. @90sickfox will be able to tell you that.

With more horsepower you'll need to give thought to the supporting cast. Suspension and brakes.

$4k will get you there. Will you be doing any of the work? Anything you can do will mean more money for parts.

An HCI swap for sure. With a 625-650 carburetor, parts will be in the $3k area.

I'm not really sure what a mechanic would charge to do the work though. @90sickfox will be able to tell you that.

With more horsepower you'll need to give thought to the supporting cast. Suspension and brakes.
Thanks .i have a bran new edelbrock performer intake 21213 in a box .can anyone recommend a cam and heads and carb to go with this intake?

Your nest bet would be to have a machine shop check and build the block. It cheaper if you take it apart yourself...that way you don't pay for disassembly. Take everything in boxes....pistons and all.

300hp sounds simple...but its not exactly as simple as it sounds.

To build a respectable carbed street car you'll need a nice cam... Comp cam has a few options. The cam specs determine everything about the motor. It determines how much you need your heads to flow and what spring pressures you need in the heads....

The biggest expense will be the heads. They are also one of the most important to reach 300 rwhp.

There are a bunch of proven combos you can copy to get that horsepower...but 3 grand " total " is a little low. If you're buying parts and paying labor that number will be blown in the dust.

That motor can be converted to roller lifters...if its not a newer roller block already. I have TFS Twisted Wedge heads on my car and love'em.I also have a Comp cam xe282hr cam. ( That cam is for a roller motor and not sure how it plays with carbs. )

The first step is tearing that motor down and getting the block checked at a machine shop...usually, its only 100 - 150 to have the block cleaned and checked. Make sure you take the crank, rods, and pistons.

Reactions: 1 user