Resolved Question about Matt Farah’s Foxbody

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

Alldegree

Sep 14, 2019
Charleston
Greetings ladies and gentlemen, it’s been too long!

I was watching this video of Matt Farah’s car and he mentioned that the Ford Performance crate engine he had in it was making 350 HP with a mild cam, Mac headers, a set of GT40X cylinder heads, and an explorer intake. I looked on Ford’s website and that motor does indeed make about 340 HP.

I have been led to believe that making over 300 HP on a stock displacement 302 is difficult without some kind of forced induction, so what’s happening here? Does the GT40X just flow that well, or do you think he had them ported?

The reason I’m asking (beyond curiosity) is because I’m going to be looking at a rebuild sometime in the future and 300 I feel is the sweet spot for these cars with regards to the balance between performance and streetability, so if I can replicate that somehow it would save me the trouble and expense of moving up to a 351 or getting a stroker kit.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning something new.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know what or who lead you to belive 300 hp was unachievable without a power adder. Since trick flow Top end kits are making 350/360 hp for ever.
You can rebuild your stock block with 30 over pistons and a good top end kit .

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I don't know what or who lead you to belive 300 hp was unachievable without a power adder. Since trick flow Top end kits are making 350/360 hp for ever.
You can rebuild your stock block with 30 over pistons and a good top end kit .
I heard this from my engine guy before I moved. He told me I needed a rebuild and we discussed options, I told him my goals and he told me that 300 was difficult.

He was also very quick to point out that he had a 347 short block for sale, so that’s probably why he told me that HP factoid.

I’m pretty sure he wasn’t lying about my need for a rebuild, it’s ticking pretty bad sometimes and I’m losing oil pressure as the temp rises. Thicker oil is helping for now, but it’s only a matter of time.

That’s good to hear that I can achieve my goals with a stock block. I had heard about those trick flow top end kits, I wonder what that guy’s explanation would be for them. I almost bought one before they all disappeared during the pandemic.

Thank you to all who replied. It seems I have been operating under some bad information, I appreciate you guys setting me straight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Another option to the TFS top end kit is to call Ed Curtis at Flowtech Induction and have him spec out heads, cam, and intakes. My guess is with one of his custom cams it will make more hp. I would also say that if you can get your hands on an Explorer upper and lower for cheap then send them to TMoss for a port job would most likley be the cheapest upper and lower that will flow really well.

If your car is not your DD then pulling the existing motor and having a reputable shop go through the short block would be what I would do. Get that back to the house and finish the motor myself and drop it back in the car.

• Useful
I was watching this video of Matt Farah’s car and he mentioned that the Ford Performance crate engine he had in it was making 350 HP with a mild cam, Mac headers, a set of GT40X cylinder heads, and an explorer intake. I looked on Ford’s website and that motor does indeed make about 340 HP.

I think it would make 340HP with a better intake. The explorer is not it. The engines probably got some great low end torque, but I would guess he's really in the 330HP (flywheel) range with that combo.

I doubt his car makes 350hp at the tire...but I'm only going off of your description ( never really looked up his car ). If you stroke your engine to 331 with a good cam, heads and intake you can get close to 400rwhp. A 306, built right, can get 300hp, too. Ed is a wizard with cams...and Tmoss is the same with intakes. Another option would be to use a carb intake and Holley efi with the heads and cam. The intakes are cheaper. Won't have to buy injectors and easier to get tuning. The good ol cheap Quarterhorse isn't available anymore, factory computers are starting to fail, and megasquirt is great but you need to be able to learn engine management systems quickly.

I can remember my first powerful mustang. The stock brakes faded super quick and it handled like crap. Especially, on ramps and off ramps. Almost crashed multiple times just because the car itself couldn't handle it. My current car is a beast and drives great all around.

Last edited:
Another option to the TFS top end kit is to call Ed Curtis at Flowtech Induction and have him spec out heads, cam, and intakes. My guess is with one of his custom cams it will make more hp. I would also say that if you can get your hands on an Explorer upper and lower for cheap then send them to TMoss for a port job would most likley be the cheapest upper and lower that will flow really well.

I hadn’t heard of Ed Curtis, but I’ll definitely keep him in mind. Anything custom sounds expensive, but I’m only planning on doing this once so it may be worth a little extra money.

They are not that much more than an off the shelf cam and you will make more power if you answer the questions on the camshaft tech sheet honestly. Form is found here:

I have two of Ed's camshafts and I know several others on here have them as well. IMO worth the money.

Reactions: 2 users

They are not that much more than an off the shelf cam and you will make more power if you answer the questions on the camshaft tech sheet honestly. Form is found here:

I have two of Ed's camshafts and I know several others on here have them as well. IMO worth the money.
I think I know the measurements for about half of this form. The block is stock but I know it’s had some machining done in the past so I wouldn’t want to give the wrong information. I also don’t know anything about the cam that’s in it, I know it’s not stock though.

That being said, I don’t really mind getting the measurements. I guess I’m just impressed at how thorough this whole thing is, it’s pretty cool. You’ve definitely sold me on it.

Greetings ladies and gentlemen, it’s been too long!

I have been led to believe that making over 300 HP on a stock displacement 302 is difficult without some kind of forced induction, so what’s happening here? Does the GT40X just flow that well, or do you think he had them ported?

The reason I’m asking (beyond curiosity) is because I’m going to be looking at a rebuild sometime in the future and 300 I feel is the sweet spot for these cars with regards to the balance between performance and streetability, so if I can replicate that somehow it would save me the trouble and expense of moving up to a 351 or getting a stroker kit.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning something new.
You’ve already gotten a lot of feedback, but here’s my 2 cents worth. I have an ‘86 GT I bought new. Fairly recently I added TFS TW 170 heads, E303 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, 24 lb. Injectors, a BBK MAF and 65mm throttle body. My combo dyno’d at 315 HP and 349 lb. ft. of torque at the rear wheels with the original H-pipe in place, so it’s not that difficult.

Bill

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users