302 MOTOR HELP

cowasaki1

Nov 30, 2009
Well this might be one of the more Dumb questions i have asked. Im putting in a 302 into my 85 lx and im wondering what size Bell housing to use on the c-4 transmission (which will be manual). and what else do i need on the front of the motor? i do not plan on having power steering or air conditioning. so what pulleys? also all the i have is the timing gears on the front of the motor and from there i dont know what else i need. also on the back of the motor. I know its alot to ask in one post. but my heads overwhelmed with this damn motor. any help would be greatly apprciated thanks, sorry for my probably stupid questions.:jaw:

• Sponsors (?)

what year is the motor ? you need a reverse rotation water pump, a timing cover for the reverse rotation w/p, w/p pulley, alternator & bracket, serpentine belt tensioner, belt,50oz harmonic balancer if it's a 81-93 motor, 28oz if it's older. crankshaft pulley, 157tooth flywheel wether it's 50oz or 28, you will need to know the year of the motor and wether it's a roller motor or not for your distributor gear, timing pointer. That's about it of the top of my head.

If it is a late model 302, by saying 'reverse rotation', I hope you are meaning reverse from stock. The late model 302 rotates clockwise and he will need a timing cover and matching water pump for clockwise rotation (stock WP is counter clockwise).

If he wants to run a serpentine belt which is what I posted then he would use a reverse rotation pump/cover. 79 and up used the reverse pump and v-belted motors used the standard rotation set-up. The v-belt runs reverse of what the serpintine runs and they don't mix.

True, but he said no PS and no AC, so even with a serpentine belt, the only way to route the belt around the Crank, Alt, and the WP, it will make the WP rotate clockwise. That was my point. Reverse or counterclockwise rotation would be true if he were going to run PS and/or AC, since the only way to route the belt would make the WP spin counterclockwise.