31 vs 28 spline, do I really need 31?

here is an old trick............paint a straight line all the way down the stock axles that get abuse on the track. once a year (or more depending on the abuse level) pull the axles and see if that straight line has started to "curve". If it has, replace it. Sometimes thay just snap, and sometimes they will show signs of stress before that.

I was told by a old drag racer that when the line makes one full revolution its time to replace the axle. It seemed kinda strange to me but he haid that axles will twist quite a bit before they snap.

• Sponsors (?)

it's almost impossible to generalize imo - the stress risers in the material, surface imperfections and the shock level applied to the axel will largely determine that on an idividual basis. If you have the power to twist axles, it's a good indication you need to watch for indications of the severity and/or upgrade.

true enough. I need to upgrade but i don't have the cash to upgrade the rear end at all. I don't have the cash to upgrade my tranny either. Until i do i'll continue to buy 300 dollar specials and hope i can get a year out of them. So far i have had 5 in my car.