331 or 347?

• Sponsors (?)

you are going to get flamed big time for not searching before you asked this question. I am going with a 331for these reasons:
#1 I am using a stock block
#2 I want to...

if you research and build a 347 correctly it will be just as driver friendly as the 331 and last plenty long enough. It depends what you want for power output, rpm range.. ect. i plan on this for my build : my spare stock block will be all set within the month machining wise
Scat9000 crank, Scat forged i beams, undecided for piston, ProTopline(190cc), Dart Pro 1's(195cc), or TFS Track Heats, XE274HR cam, Performer RPM, 30lb injectors, MAF, 70mm TB, and all the other crap i need. :)

i would save the money, not buy from DSS, put it towards better parts and build it yourself. its more fun too. we cannot give you ANY good ideas untilwe know what you plan for this car... trailer queen, daily driver, compression ratio, hp/tq desires? give us something to work with.

89white50 said:
i would save the money, not buy from DSS, put it towards better parts and build it yourself. its more fun too. we cannot give you ANY good ideas untilwe know what you plan for this car... trailer queen, daily driver, compression ratio, hp/tq desires? give us something to work with.

His idea is good, too. This is probably what I'd do if you're willing to.

4u2nv said:

I hope that was an early april fools joke?? ;)

Go 347 hands down. I dunno why anyone would give up 16 FREE cubic inches. Built/machined properly either engine is fine. Build a 347, click the link in my sig and talk to Rick 91GT. If you have any other question i'll be glad to help, just PM me. Looks like i'm the only one in this thread so far who actually has a stroker engine (Gee what a shocker ;) )

For the pansies worried about 347's being bad, probe makes a 5.315" rod and it uses a 331 piston with a 3.40 stroke crank. This is actually what i use, but NOT because i'm a pansy, but because the 5.44" rod set up Iwanted was on a long backorder so I had no choice but to use this set up.

Grn92LX said:
I hope that was an early april fools joke?? ;)

Go 347 hands down. I dunno why anyone would give up 16 FREE cubic inches. Built/machined properly either engine is fine. Build a 347, click the link in my sig and talk to Rick 91GT. If you have any other question i'll be glad to help, just PM me. Looks like i'm the only one in this thread so far who actually has a stroker engine (Gee what a shocker ;) )

For the pansies worried about 347's being bad, probe makes a 5.315" rod and it uses a 331 piston with a 3.40 stroke crank. This is actually what i use, but NOT because i'm a pansy, but because the 5.44" rod set up Iwanted was on a long backorder so I had no choice but to use this set up.

No, I meant no ribbing by my post. I have always dreamt of getting my old Fox together. DD/street would be my main motive and lot I've read lately indicates a 331 might be best in economy, reliability, and emissions conducive. Am I getting fed a bunch of BS?

Modular2v said:
i just got done with my 331....built it all myself and have just under 2000$ in it with machining costs and all...... Probe forged flat tops, forged eagle rods and scat crank

wow man u built a complete 331 with all those goodies for under 2000, thats without intake and heads right?
Im planning on a 331 soon and i had no idea it could be done for so cheap.

There is a difference between a 331 and 347.

Rod ratio is steeper on the 347 which equals more wear.

They have different skirts on the piston for a reason;)

More piston speed is prevalent with the 347 which equals more wear as well.

More sideloading on the cylinder walls is present as well.

Fuzion said:
wow man u built a complete 331 with all those goodies for under 2000, thats without intake and heads right?
Im planning on a 331 soon and i had no idea it could be done for so cheap.
yes that is without intake, heads and all the goodies......that just included the rotating assembly, rings, bearings and machine work......i did all the assembly myself

thanks for the help. i just want to build something and find a car to put it in later. im looking for something that makes good power but will be as dependable as a dd (it wont be) and last awile,provided the amount of abuse it will be given. ive heard of the 347 oiling problems with the old kits,and it seems like the 331s are starting to take over. it sounds to me the 331 are designed to last a little longer and has some good points, like piston skirt design. i think thats the way im leaning towards. again thanks for the help