331 Qs & Canton Oil pan / vert Qs

94blackGTvert

Founding Member
Oct 14, 2002
PA
I need opinions.

I might/do have a chance at buying a brand new (never left the engine stand)built 331 for 6k-ish. It was built buy a local shop for a customer and now the shop has it (long story). Just wondering if you think it's a good deal and what power I can expect to produce. Here are the specs:

stock :notnice: girdled machined block, 4340 crank and rods, JE flat top pistons (10:1 compression),Trick flow high port heads, TFS R intake, Trick flow stage 2 cam, crane 1.6 rockers. It also comes with 75 mm TB, 255lph in tank, 30lb injectors, 6al msd, Canton 7 qt oil pan, new water pump.

I know I could get a DSS long block for 5100, but this engines already built and includes a lot more.

The motor was built with a 200 shot in mind. So how long do you think the stock block would hold up to the nitrous? I won't spray til after I get a new tranny and rear end though.

What power do you think i could expect all motor? The shop is telling me over 400 at the wheels. But I don't think so. I agree with what other people have told me, more like 325-350. How long do you think the tranny and rear will hold up without beating on it?

Also, will the canton oil pan fit in a vert with the extra bracing?

• Sponsors (?)

I hope you don't plan on hitting the motor with a 200 shot. It'll never hold up.

What are all the clearances?
Ring gaps?
Are they the old(er) iron High Ports or the new(er) aluminum ones?
What was the intended RPM range when they built the motor?

Your not going to make 400 RWHP with the cam that is in it now. If I was a guessing guy, I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 360-370.

Joe

No I'm not planning on a 200 shot. The guy that built it was telling me that's what it was built for, but I pretty much figured it would split the block. What do you think would be the largest shot I could safely run?

A girdled block can handle what 500-550 at the crank? or is that too high?

I don't know clearances or ring gap yet. I have to make a phone call and find out. I think the heads are the older iron ones, that's another question that's on my list. The engine was built to spin to about 6500. Everything that's listed above is what I can remember from talking to the guy the first time.

I'll find out more info. I'm just trying to weed out truth from some borderline BS that I think I was given.

I wouldn't spend 6k on it, but that's just me personally. If they put a good set of aluminum heads on it, then I would. Or, if they put it on an engine dyno and show me 400+ horsepower at the flywheel. Those old High Ports with that camshaft doesn't sound like a powerful setup. It'll sound like it's got some guts, but it won't perform nearly as good as it sounds.

The stock block will hold about 550 flywheel horsepower, yes, but you have to remember that if this combination is running 400 horsepower at the flywheel, a 100 shot will put you very close to that 550 FWHP limit. Along with horsepower, RPM kills motors too. So, the higher you spin the thing while spraying it, the risky you're being.

Joe

So even if the heads are the newer aluminum ones, would you still consider it a weaker combo? Are the newer heads with the stage 2 a better setup? I really don't know a whole lot about trick flow.

I'm going to try and call the guy later this afternoon to get all the details.

Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it.

I'm not a fan of TFS stuff - period. Although I do have to admit that it can make lots of horsepower. It seems that getting the combo right with TFS heads is much more difficult.

Cylinder head technology has come very far in the past few years. Look at AFR. Their SBF stuff hasn't been around that long. They are now the "in" cylinder head because they make tons of power. Those High Ports are probably a 5 year old design. They are dated.

From what I understand, those old iron High Ports respond very well to porting, but for all the money you'd spend on porting them, you could go out and buy a new set of heads once you sold the HP's.

Do you have to pass smog inspection? If you do, I don't believe the High Ports have provisions for smog equipment, so you'd have to sell them anyhow. I'm not sure if the cam is legal either.

I know you aren't made of money, and neither am I.

If I were in your position, I'd wait. There are far better deals out there.

Joe

I do have smog inspection, so you're right that'd be an issue.

You raise a lot of good points and you're beginning to sway my opinion. So I might just hold off on it. I still need to find out more info about it. The fact that it is only a stock block does bother me. If I decide to pass on this, I guess I'll just start accumulating parts for a HCI swap