331 w/ ported GT40s

ntstock93

Jul 17, 2006
Central New York
I have been searching the forum for quite some time now. After all of the months of searching I think the 331 with ported to the max GT40s and a custom cam is what I want. This is a street only car 5spd with BFG drag radials and 3.73s.

Does anyone have this set up?
With a Cobra intake and a free flow exhaust what fwhp number would an engine like this be rated at?
Also what would be the perfect compression ratio for this set up?
There are no plans for forced induction. Possibly a nice NOS 100 shot way in the future.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, I've just dropped a 331 with ported GT-40s, cobra intake, 1.6 RR, TFS-1 cam, 9.75:1 compression into my '88 GT.

If all goes well this week I'll be firing it up on Saturday. I'll let you know what kind of power it makes :nice:

I got the 331 shortblock from M&R engines, and 9:75:1 compression was the lowest I could go (this is for my daily driver, so I need to run pump gas).

I bought the heads on Ebay, already ported. I had a few hardcore racing buddies (won Pinks All Out - Arizona) and a machine shop look over the heads and they were all impressed with the porting job. They came off of a 500 HP fox.

The valves have been back cut and I hand-lapped them.

Sorry, I expected to fire it on Saturday but just didn't get enough done, despite working on it all day long...it was 110 here :( This Saturday is looking promising though :nice:

I'll definitely update as soon as I rip around in it

I have been searching the forum for quite some time now. After all of the months of searching I think the 331 with ported to the max GT40s and a custom cam is what I want. This is a street only car 5spd with BFG drag radials and 3.73s.

Does anyone have this set up?
With a Cobra intake and a free flow exhaust what fwhp number would an engine like this be rated at?
Also what would be the perfect compression ratio for this set up?
There are no plans for forced induction. Possibly a nice NOS 100 shot way in the future.

Thanks

I have am building a close setup.

Twin T04E Turbocharger .50 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine
10lbs of boost
BBK headers
8.8 : 1 pistons
BBK 65mm throttle
ported Tubular GT40 intake
1.72 roller rockers
ported GT40p heads
F303 roller cam

Sorry, I expected to fire it on Saturday but just didn't get enough done, despite working on it all day long...it was 110 here :( This Saturday is looking promising though :nice:

I'll definitely update as soon as I rip around in it

Hey 68keyblr, definitely get some videos of your car posted up and let me know how it all went. And of course what kind of power your making. I'm still planning out my 331 build. Thanks

Hey 68keyblr, definitely get some videos of your car posted up and let me know how it all went. And of course what kind of power your making. I'm still planning out my 331 build. Thanks

Will do :nice: I finished up all of the remaining details under the hood last night - plug wires, throttle body, etc.

I'll be putting the dash back in today and tomorrow so if all goes well I'm still on schedule for terrorizing the neighborhood on Saturday :D

"302 parts make 302 hp period.." that isnt the truth, and also that is a pretty strong statement!! I know that a lot of people that are into SELLING parts, use that saying a LOT!! But in our experiance the 302 parts can and will make a lot of power... maybe you cant get much from a 302... but there are a lot that can, and do!! no slam intended.. just that phrase is like the word "NEVER" !! cool??

Just me......................................

Thumper

and that would be the Ford 351W heads?? did you know the W heads from Ford are the same heads they use on the 302's?? the C9 and D0 351W 4V heads are the pre-GT40 heads and the 40s will walk around then.. with better ports and runners, and the chambers and bowls... sorry!

Just me.......................................

Thumper (been there done that!!)

Thumper

and that would be the Ford 351W heads?? did you know the W heads from Ford are the same heads they use on the 302's?? the C9 and D0 351W 4V heads are the pre-GT40 heads and the 40s will walk around then.. with better ports and runners, and the chambers and bowls... sorry!

Just me.......................................

Thumper (been there done that!!)

Thumper

Ok: I will reword.

I know the gt40 head was used on the 351 cobra R and made

300 HP @ 4800 RPM
365 TQ @ 3750 RPM

I want 51 more HP or 1hp / cubic inch

Using the same parts but using a F303 roller cam with 1.72 roller. would I make more power. If not would the gt40 heads be the limiting factor?

For that cam rocker arm combo, I am calculating .550" lift .

This calculator was used http://www.wallaceracing.com/rockercalc.php

Thumper can you make this happen if I send in my heads and intake?

Almost all the GT40 heads on Stan Weiss head flow comparision flow a measly 250/175cfm @ .600 lift at that's the best one which is the GT40 X303. Most are considerably lower.

If u want to make power on a NA 331/347 choose a head that flows at least 300/220 cfm @ .500 lift. AFR 205, TFS Track heat 205, TFS-Hi port stage 2 210cc.

here's stan weiss web addy:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Ford

it cannot be said any more clearly, 302 parts make 302 power, period.

higher flowing heads and bigger valves take more rpm to build power. read thumper's web site. theres nothing wrong with ported gt-40's. if someone can get a hold of thoes heads and port them the right way they can flow just as good as afr's and other leading name brand heads. send thoes heads to thumper to have them ported.

and 302 parts dont make 302 power

higher flowing heads and bigger valves take more rpm to build power. read thumper's web site. theres nothing wrong with ported gt-40's. if someone can get a hold of thoes heads and port them the right way they can flow just as good as afr's and other leading name brand heads. send thoes heads to thumper to have them ported.

can I make 51 more hp with out porting?

a 400hp 302 with stock cam!

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=588067