351w pilots cam advice please

zm830101

May 16, 2005
warner robins, ga
trying to decide what cam to put in my 351 .
it is .030 over. compression is about 9.6-1, and i have victor jr (box stock) to put on it with rpm air gap and a 750 speed demon and 1-3/4 super comps

looking to make 375 hp at the wheels or better. any suggestions. was looking at the comp cams xe282. what do you guys think.?

• Sponsors (?)

for a street/strip cam, the xe282h is a good one to run, just remember that it will be a bit tempermental on the street. if you plan to use this car as a daily driver, then something more like an xe268h, or in that neighnorhood, would be better, and still make the power level you seem to want.

You say "RPM Air Gap", so I guess the Vic-Jr part is the heads? Are you sure your 357 is ready for 375rwhp? What range are you looking at for the torque? Willing to lose some ft/lbs to gain some ponies? FWIW the big Windsors are not know for their high RPM duty, the bottom end is designed for strength and durability at the deliberate sacrifice of RPMs. That means you're gonna want to have almost 500fwhp at or below 6,500RPM. it can be done NA but it is gonna take some serious parts in the short-block.

Assuming that's the case you might want more cam than the 282, up to a 290 maybe. But a 282 ranged duration with a really big lift might make more sense depending on all those other variables that have been brought up already.

if by Vic Jr you mean heads, coupled with the air gap and a 750 carb....I think it'll be pretty easy to get 375 at the wheels (450-ish at the crank). I think a cam with 550-560 lift, 240 [email protected] would get you there. The power will come on strong at about 3500, pull to 6500 or so. Streetable? Depends on how much you can tolerate. You'll want at least a 3000 stall converter (if auto), and a 3.73-4.10 gear out back.

You might as well put a 393 crank in it, that would increase your torque while moving the powerband to a lower rpm range. 393's are quite affordable to build, and I think your heads/etc will still flow enough to handle the added displacement.

I'm running the XE262 in my 351w and am happy with it. Not sure on the HP output, but it is large enough to notice it on the street but still has off the line power without a larger stall converter. If you are driving this daily i wouldn't go over the XE268, otherwise it will feel like a 6 cylinder until you get up around 3000rpms or so.