357 or 408

glasersil

Sep 20, 2006
Thinking of getting a 357 or 408 instead of a 331. What do you guys think? Should I go bigger?? I plan on leaving it all motor to start and adding a power adder later like a supercharger or turbo...

• Sponsors (?)

I had a 347 and had nothing but issues with reliability. I ended up going to a 351w roller and havent had any problems since. I would recommend stepping up to a 351w roller and then stroking if needed.

jruppert said:
Is this because of the rod ratio or because its lighter?
rod ratio is useless, the rotating assemblies are much lighter. A typical forged 347 crank can be in the 46lb area as compared to 60+lb 351 crank, then connecting rod weight a typical I beam 347 rod will be around 525 grams, as opposed to the 351's 575-585 gram rod.

That does make sense. All I know is that the 347 I purchase from CHP was nothing but problems. So far my 351 is much more reliable and seems to make just as much power (for exception of cam). I would like to upgrade on the cam though. Maybe I just had a bad engine to start with? :shrug:

I agree, a 347>351/357. Here is one big advantage of getting the 351, you have more potential in the future if you do want to stroke it. Stroker kits arn't that expensive, and worth the cash.