357 turbo

78pinto

Mar 1, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I finally got my turbo, Holset HX40 brand new. It will be getting a polishing on the compressor side and the turbine side will be ceramic coated (chrome) This turbo will support 600-700 horsepower. I'm building a '95 roller block 351w with good forged bottom end pieces, using a Ford Motorsport "F" cam and my Windsor Sr. heads......should be fun. I have not decided wether i'm keeping the EFI or going with a carbed blow thru set up using a Victor Jr. and a BG 750 blow thru carb and EV bonnet. I'll be selling the 408 short block at some point, but not untill at least spring. I'll be using shorty headers facing the front going into a y pipe to the turbo and it'll be a single 4 inch exhaust off the turbine outlet.

index.php

• Sponsors (?)

78pinto said:
I finally got my turbo, Holset HX40 brand new. It will be getting a polishing on the compressor side and the turbine side will be ceramic coated (chrome) This turbo will support 600-700 horsepower. I'm building a '95 roller block 351w with good forged bottom end pieces, using a Ford Motorsport "F" cam and my Windsor Sr. heads......should be fun. I have not decided wether i'm keeping the EFI or going with a carbed blow thru set up using a Victor Jr. and a BG 750 blow thru carb and EV bonnet. I'll be selling the 408 short block at some point, but not untill at least spring. I'll be using shorty headers facing the front going into a y pipe to the turbo and it'll be a single 4 inch exhaust off the turbine outlet.

index.php

Since you're going smaller cubes, (I assume for high revs with the turbo) why not build a stroker 302? The 302 crankshaft alone weighs a lot less than the 351W unit, and the 302 stroker would rev much quicker. Not to mention, you'll have more room in the engine bay. TURBO 5.4L!

any 302 block (factory) will not live past 500 horse for long, they split right down the middle, and all the girdles, and valley girdles do is keep the parts in a tidy pile when it does let go. By the way, the "F" cam has made upwards of 1200hp in a blow thru carb, turbo set up....don't believe me....do a search on turbomustangs.com here is his setup

Screen name...............Brent
Engine........................R302 SBF
Turbo or blower...........Majestic 88mm turbo
Carburetor...................CSU 750 (now tuning with a CSU 850)
Jetting........................78/91
Needle/seats...............(.150 alcohol)
Bonnet.......................EV with spacer
Fuel pump...................Magnafuel 500 GPH
Regulator....................Aeromotive 132-02
Boost.........................32 psi
Intercooler..................Custom Air-to-water
Total timing.................22 degrees
Track #'s....................Still Pending
MPH...........................See track #'s
Dyno #'s....................1177 rwhp/1097 rwtq
Cam...........................F-303
Car weight..................Estimated 3100 w/driver

seems to work for him:D

Blue thunder: going smaller because if i don't i'll need a really big turbo for the 408....and i really don't want to make an exhaust up using 5 inch material, as it is it'll be tuff with the HX40 and it's 4 inch exhaust....remember it is only a small Pinto! The new 357 will not rev past 6000rpm, will see 14-16 pounds of boost and will easily make over 600hp without a grunt!

78pinto said:
any 302 block (factory) will not live past 500 horse for long,

The late model 302 block can deal with 400-450 hp without a girdle before it does bad things. The early blocks(pre-1980) are something like 30-40 pounds heavier than the newer ones, and most of this extra material is found in the main bearing webbing, where it counts the most. They say a non-girdle supported early 302 block will deal with 500 hp fairly safely.(nothing is 100%) The main girdle adds a LOT of rigidity to the bottom end, because it spreads out the power stroke load over all the caps. The mistake people make is buying billet aluminum girdles, because alum. sucks and is useless. The billet steel girdle is a race proven part, and has served many street/strip/race 302s well. (mine included) I have between 5 and 6 thousand miles on my motor, it's been past 8000 RPM many times, and it's making at least 500hp at the crankshaft. Knock on wood, that old '72 block is still in one piece.

take it from me ive split a stocker, with that setup your gonna need an R302, dart, world products or A4 block, not even worth trying w/o one. Then the world is your limit.
I intend on going to a large single turbo one day to hit the 1k rwhp mark.

good luck on whatever you decide to do

i've got all the parts for a roller 351 so that will be what goes in. I have no cage or harness, so 11.50 is my limit at the track before i get the boot anyhow. I'm sure it will be very easy to hit the 11.50 mark without even making it grunt!

78pinto said:
i've got all the parts for a roller 351 so that will be what goes in. I have no cage or harness, so 11.50 is my limit at the track before i get the boot anyhow. I'm sure it will be very easy to hit the 11.50 mark without even making it grunt!

I'm thinking you might have to hit the brakes a little at the end of the strip so they don't get mad and throw you off the track. heh! A turbocharged V8 Pinto will be brutal.

I got the compressor housing polished up nice and the turbo is at the local turbo shop having a Garrett T4 .96A/R exhaust housing machined to fit it. I have my 2.5 inch V band flange kits (3) so i can do my headers and crossover, and i also bought a 46mm Tial wastegate. In the spring i'll take the car to my buddies shop and mach up the whole turbo set up with intercooler and all. I'll be running the 408 for the rest of the summer and building the 351 to get ready for a fall turbo and engine install. Once the pipes are welded it'll all be taken to get ceramic coated (along with the turbo). I'll post some pictures as i go, i think iv'e decided the turbo will be mounted on the drivers side.....but that could change:nice:

index.php

Update:

I have almost everything now and will mach up the turbo install on the Pinto this spring. Holset HX40 with .96 A/R garrett turbine housing machined to fit, 46mm wastegate, turbo XS blow off valve, 28x12x3 front mount intercooler, bought a megasquirt II EFI setup with wideband O2 (innovate LC-1) i'll post some pictures of all the stuff later......i'm gonna have a busy spring!