393 STROKER KIT. WHAT TO LOOK FOR

JETHRO

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
ALTOONA PA
guy with a corvette just moved in down the street and there already another vette down a little farther. so ive decided that im going to get a 393 rotating assembly for my 351w roller block. anybody got one off ebay from the mustang depot? is a cast steel crank good enough? what kind of #'s do you think could be expected with afr heads and a good F.I intake? should i get a forged crank or is it gonna be overkill like lighting a cigarette with a cruise missile? itll be street driven with maybe one trip to the strip to get some times and alot of autocross. and i would like to really whoop some Z06's.

• Sponsors (?)

Cast cranks are weak and shouldn't be used in a stroker combo, let alone a big cube one. Definitely go forged (it's extra insurance..paying a couple hundred more for a crank, or snapping one in half..which is better?)
It would be difficult to guess your HP given the fact that we know nothing about the engine you want to build.

Cast steel cranks are perfect for stock block applications. Why not go bigger than 393? The rotating assmeblies all cost about the same. I would stick with a kit from scat, eagle or probe.

What top end parts are you gonna be using? A stroker will not be cheap. Been there done that!

If your getting the hole kit,go bigger!

As for that cam,you know you got to either get the conversion roller lifters (Crane makes good ones,I have run theres),or go with a late model block.

But to tell you the truth,the heads should be bigger,you want heads with around 200cc runners for a motor over 350 cubes to really put out the power.

The 185's will be very torquey,but once you get going,you'll really feel it slowing down,especially right befor you shift.

RS200 said:
Cast cranks are weak and shouldn't be used in a stroker combo, let alone a big cube one. Definitely go forged (it's extra insurance..paying a couple hundred more for a crank, or snapping one in half..which is better?)
It would be difficult to guess your HP given the fact that we know nothing about the engine you want to build.

Cast steel cranks from scat,probe, etc are good to 600hp. If u push more than that...you probably will break more than just the crank.

And i dont think you will be "whooping" Z06's with only AFR185's. Just cant see it happening. You will probably "hang" with a stock one...but those motors can be literally unleashed with only a couple mods and 185's just aint gonna do it.

If you were trying to build it all now, sell those 185's and get the biggest head u can afford :rlaugh: You wanna feed that beast all it can take. But to play with the big dogs takes a lot of cash. So use the 185's for now if u have to...just realize that you probably wont be whooping any z06's.

JETHRO said:
what does a z06 run? just curious.

In stock form, IIRC the previous z06 runs low 12's and this new beast with the 427 runs mid 11's. But see the unfair advantage is the potential of those GM motors....just a little of this...and a little of that...and those things are insane.

You can do it...but you have to think. Guys run AFR185's on 302's....no way in hell that a 185 on a huge stroker motor is gonna run at its optimum level.

i dont have any heads yet. im just looking for suggestions. im gonna want really good bottom end along with top end. i drive this thing to work in the summer everyday. i want the most out of it with good driveability. im a little concerned about the cam , whether or not it will be too much for on the street. this will probably only go to the dragstrip once to get some times. i did the drag strip thing with the other mustang.

Well with a huge stroker...you will have a good bottom end regardless. I would suggest you pick a custom cam guy and talk with him. Have him help you through the design process. That will gaurantee that all of your goals are met. And if they cant be met, you will know a head of time.

A late model 351W roller motor really is not much stronger then the late model 302W.

I would go 408ci, atleast a 200cc head, custom cam to get the best driving manners and good HP/TQ. Will this be a EFI or CARB set-up?

Now what to look for??? Look a the brand of the internals, if they are private labeled it is most likely a cheaper part. When comparing assemblies, compare apples to apples as far as brad, type of material etc. Looks for support after the sale as well... Your not too far from me if I can help in anyway let me know..

quality is definitely first. as far as the block goes, i wont be exceeding its limitations. i would like to achieve 400-450 to the wheels. from everything ive heard thats not to hard to do with the right combo. emissions is not much of a problem. we have to abide by them but its not too hard to pass.

Yea Z06's are pretty insane! My buddies dad is loaded and just got one, its a monster!!! Those things are just an amazing all around performer, talking about something that can eat up Vipers....
Go 408, trust me...if your wanting to beat some Z06's your going to need every cubic inch you can get. But if you stay 393, a cast crank if fine, the stock block will give before the crank will. My dad has built, raced and worked on cars for 30+ years and he said he's never seen a broken crank, something always broke before the crank, rod, piston, etc.
Just remember, the connecting rods are the weak link in a rotating assembly. I was thinking about building a 393, i was going to use a Scat cast crank, i think it was like $350ish and then use stock 351 rods and some forged 302 pistons. Havnt really worked out the details yet, but i was going to clean the casting marks off the rods, smooth them out and have them shot peened along with the crank. Most of the time, when a rod lets go, the crack starts around the sharp edges, casting marks on the big end of the rod. But even after you do build that engine, dont be to surprised if a Z06 still hands you your ass, they are fast. We were cruising along the highway about 65, he nailed it and we just went to 120 in about 5 secinds, like it was no problem, engine wasn't even breaking a sweat, they are amazing performers...Sorry for the long post.

I would do a 393/408W with a Scat 4340 forged kit from adperformance.com, SRP, Probe, Ross flat tops 11:1 comp, AFR 225's or TFS-R stage 2 race head or the big dog Victor Sr.7721's, Comp Cam XE292H or the new Comp cam stroker cam, Victor EFI or TFS-R port matched intake. u will have close to 575fwhp and 540fwtq. The Z06 is one nasty mo-fo.

Or u could do a R351 or Dart block with the above with 9:1 comp and do a turbo or SC. then they would not have a chance. The Z06 pistons r cast and r not meant for boost. Chevy built this monster with an aluminum block, billet steel crank, titanium rods and cast pistons. if they would have used forged pistons there would have been people doing 1200hp or more on the street.

A DECENT SET OF "Stage 2" CNC'ed TFS R's WILL WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THE AFR 225's!

Victors...you know how much works Victors are to get right?Yes,they make alot of power,but you can get a better head for close to the $4200 you would pay for Victors ready to go. :nonono:

I would do either an AFR 225 or a ported Victor Jr.,though the TFS R would work better IMO,they need special pistons (and JE makes a very good one from experiance ;) )

An off the self cam?

No way,not for a motor like that...custom.

EFI....sheetmetal custom or a box upper on a ported TFS R lower,unless its blown/turbo THEN the cast pieces work.

Carb, I would do a Super Victor with a 2" spacer and a 950 with annular boosters (4150 flange).

JETHRO said:
i already have a roller block and im keeping it injected. i want 400-450 rwhp. i dont need anymore.

:nice:

Sometimes we get carried away...lol.

Victor EFI (80mm TB) with ported lower,AFR 205 heads and a custom hyd. rolelr cam.

Use 1 3/4 headers with a 2.5" (or 3" exhaust) and it will run good,you can always add a 150 shot if you want more "GO".