4.10's and traction..

KillaKev702

Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
ok so here is my concern, i wanna get some new gears and i'm of course on the fence between 3.73's and 4.10's. now i know most people recommend the 4.10's and thats what i'm leaning towards, but my concern is traction. I have FRPP c-springs and j&m lca's with the stock 245 bullits with street tires, and i was wondering what kind of traction issues i'm going to be having at the track with 4.10's come spring time. last season my 60ft times were horrible, but at that time i had a completely stock suspension. so i was wondering with the 4.10's, FRPP springs, LCA's, and also i got new monroe shocks and struts, what can expect? thanks in advanced..

• Sponsors (?)

I have 4.10's, Roush springs, and J&M LCA's, and 315/35/17 rears.

Traction is never there in 1st, 2nd gear will spin badly almost every time.

At the track, I've pulled a 2.1 one street tires at best with 4.10's on a hot day with a well prepped track.

With a sticky tire, 4.10's are insane.

If I were to do it over again I'd go 3.73 or 3.90 because it's annoying cruising around 3k RPM at 80MPH and now that my car is on nitrous I am going to run out of gear, or come VERY close to running out at the track with 4.10's.

On the street my stock tires were a joke with 4.10s. But thats not a reason not to get them... You dont want to be running 245s anway!! Get the 4.10s and then some decent rear wheels and tires. 295/18s or 315/17s. Such an improvement!!! KDW2s are fantastic!:nice:

thanks for the respones, well anyway now i'm thinking i may go with the alternative 3.90s. anybody have any experience with them? also does anybody know if pro 5.0 gears are any good? i wanted to go with FRPP but they dont make them.

Maybe because they are pushing 6 years old now? :shrug: Plus, they weren't great tires to start with.

As for traction with 4.10s... learn to drive and modulate the throttle. You don't HAVE to go full throttle. lol

Stock Tires not original , and yes they suck , :p , and telling someone with 4.10 not to go full throttle is just silly:nono::D

Maybe because they are pushing 6 years old now? :shrug: Plus, they weren't great tires to start with.

As for traction with 4.10s... learn to drive and modulate the throttle. You don't HAVE to go full throttle. lol

Stock Tires not original , and yes they suck , :p , and telling someone with 4.10 not to go full throttle is just silly:nono::D

Yeah... what is the point in going to a gear ratio that requires you to not go wot just to get traction?

IMHO, if you cant get traction, get some stickier tires. If that doesnt work, get softer springs/shocks/struts or just get steeper gears.

Going from 3.27 to 4.1 increases torque in a given gear by 25%

if thats causing you to lose traction and your answer is to reduce the throttle to fix it, then you will have to reduce the engines torque output just enough to get traction... but that isnt easy to do consistently. You will usualy reduce it too much and go slower than you could or not enough and you will spin your tires, again, going slower.

Most will tell you 3.73 if you plan any fi in the future and 4.1 if you want to stay N/A. Just be ready to upgrade your tires if you want any traction.

I cant get traction right now with my setup and NT555R in the rear and 2.97 1st gear ratio. It's very frustrating. I'm going to try some MT ET Street Radials. If that doesnt work, Im going to go with some steeper gears.

ok so here is my concern, i wanna get some new gears and i'm of course on the fence between 3.73's and 4.10's. now i know most people recommend the 4.10's and thats what i'm leaning towards, but my concern is traction. I have FRPP c-springs and j&m lca's with the stock 245 bullits with street tires, and i was wondering what kind of traction issues i'm going to be having at the track with 4.10's come spring time. last season my 60ft times were horrible, but at that time i had a completely stock suspension. so i was wondering with the 4.10's, FRPP springs, LCA's, and also i got new monroe shocks and struts, what can expect? thanks in advanced..

Im pretty sure those springs will hurt your 60 ft time becasue they will reduce your weight transfer. the 4.10s will hurt traction a lot, but so would the 3.73s as you said you already cant get traction. Those LCAs might help some, but probably wont out weight the loss from the springs. Those shocks and struts will hurt weight transfer too unless they are softer than what they replaced.

I would reccomend you get some good tires and get some traction with what you have now before you invest in gears and make traction worse.

Ultimately, if you can get traction, some 3.73s or 4.10s will help you get out of the hole and into the power band.

Do you have an auto or manual?

Yeah... what is the point in going to a gear ratio that requires you to not go wot just to get traction?

Not sure if you're making a statement or asking a question :shrug: but I will give an answer anyway , the point of getting a gear ratio is that it does require a touch of finesse to get going and dropping from a 1.98 60' / 13.57 at 102 to a clawing 60' 2.05 / 13.28 at 104 on a street tire , the extra spining is worth it if you ask me , and with just about 100 runs on my Mustang getting into the 12's with a stock throttle body to pan engine on street tires has been a goal of mine:D , but I think this is the season I get a sticky tire !

Im pretty sure those springs will hurt your 60 ft time becasue they will reduce your weight transfer. the 4.10s will hurt traction a lot, but so would the 3.73s as you said you already cant get traction. Those LCAs might help some, but probably wont out weight the loss from the springs. Those shocks and struts will hurt weight transfer too unless they are softer than what they replaced.

I would reccomend you get some good tires and get some traction with what you have now before you invest in gears and make traction worse.

Ultimately, if you can get traction, some 3.73s or 4.10s will help you get out of the hole and into the power band.

Do you have an auto or manual?

I have an manual

Only gear I have problems with is first. Just gotta ride the clutch and modulate the throttle a little and it hooks. I've kept up with an STi out of the hole at the track on stock size tires, stock suspension and the 4.10's.

It's a great gear. The stock rear suspension is a joke. Tires alone wont make it stick, but it'll help quite a bit.

Only gear I have problems with is first. Just gotta ride the clutch and modulate the throttle a little and it hooks. I've kept up with an STi out of the hole at the track on stock size tires, stock suspension and the 4.10's.

It's a great gear. The stock rear suspension is a joke. Tires alone wont make it stick, but it'll help quite a bit.

He has already replaced the biggest straight line problem with the stock rear end... the LCAs. Some better tires would be my next move. Gears after that if you still have money.