$4000 budget for engine build

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
I know this will result in a hundred different answers from everyone. Thats cool, please everyone dont get in a pissing match over why someone elses suck. If you have a better idea then I would like to hear it and why its better.
And I dont have the money yet I just want some ideas if $4000 is enough and how you would do it to reach my goals.

So here it is. I will be getting a high mile LX this week. The car is beautiful and runs great but the engine has almost 200K on it so I am gonna save up for an engine replacement or rebuild for mabey next summer. So I want to do a performance build but be DD reliable and useable. Nothing with a heavy cam or rough idle. I want everything to work including the A/C. It has to be able to sit in traffic without overheating and get 20+ highway MPG. I will plan on doing the needed drivetrain mods for the new power but am only looking for engine ideas.
I want the engine to put down 350 rwhp without a power adder. I dont want to change the hood so I guess that rules out a 351 :shrug: Im not sure about going as large as a 347 beacause I hear that it can have the pistons rock a little at the end of the stroke :shrug: And I want it to last for a long time so im thinking 331.

So can a 331 N/A make that kind of power and be completly steertable? If so is $4000 a reasonable budget or am I way off?
Should I use the stock block (assuming its fine) and rebuild it or should I get a whole new engine? And if so, from who?
What heads are the best for this application? Trick Flow, AFR, GT40s?
What plenum?
Hell this might be all for nothing and when the time comes I see a deal for a built 351 for $2000 cause the guy is having a kid on the way or buying a new house.

But if you had a $4000 budget and 350 rwhp N/A goals how would you do it?

• Sponsors (?)

those are some pretty lofty goals. a 347 with a trick flow intake/cam and a set of AFR heads will get you there, but I dont think you will see the 20+mpgs you are looking for.

Yeah I was kinda thinking that. Prolly be better to just get a smashed 96-98 Cobra and throw the engine in it :shrug: :rlaugh:

With the combo you mentioned would I be reusing the stock block and could it be done for under $4000?

$2500 for an engine with a cracked block and no accessories? I think I'll pass...

But anyways, 327 (no block work = less money) or 331 if you feel more comfortable with it. Stroker kit = $1500ish. AFR 185s = $1300ish. Custom Cam = $350 from FTI. Holley intake = $500. So about $3650 for brand new parts, probably $2500-3000 if you go used. And you'll need the supporting stuff as well: fuel pump, 30#+ injectors, MAF, TB, etc... Very doable 350hp with a stroker, less with the stock 302 without radical cam. Hell, the 89lx im about to pick up has holley intake, ported windsor sr heads, afm-111 cam. No actual numbers on this car but i looked up a lot of similar combos with the same cam and most were 320+ RWHP on the stock 302. Some were as high as 350 RWHP.