450HP stock Block...Possible?

• Sponsors (?)

Stalone93GT said:
Any one have a stock 302 that they stoked to a 347? I want to do it but have heard different stories about the 302 webbing and it only holding 400-500 horse. Help me out

might be my imgination but I thought I just replied to your 351 swap message. :) Anyway, I am not sure about a 302 but I think its possible. I know it is for a fact with a 351 block.

Yea it's deffinatly possible. One fast stang was going low tens with his stock block.
Then he completly split it into two when he tryed for a 9sec pass. But, yea the stock
block can take it, just get one of those windige trays, and a griddle.

I have two buddies with pretty high hp stock 5.0 block Combos. One is a 331 with twisted wedge heads, E-303, Trick flow intake and 11 psi powerdyne. The other is a 347 with fully ported Aftermarket heads (not sure on brand), big Solid Roller Cam, Edlebrock Victor Intake and a 150 hp shot of Nitrous. the 347 makes over 400 rwhp N/A.. Both are easily over 500 hp at the flywheel.

Read the NMRA Pure Street rules. The top Pure Street cars the past few years have been putting out around that kind of power (425-450hp)...with a nearly stock cam profile! Simple combo's but with meticulous tuning. This is a stock block, 311cid limit class. I know that there is a StangNet member that runs Pure Street, he might be able to answer your questions a lot better than I could.

Things that weaken engine blocks are vibrations/bad harmonics, excessive heat, expansion & contraction, etc. However, what commonly blows a block apart is a catastrophic failure in the rotating assembly (rods, pistons, crank, etc). Someone had mentioned nitrous. Nitrous typically comes on abruptly, which may put quite a bit of strain on the rotating assembly, especially when under load. You can build a strong nitrous engine, but the rotating assembly must lightened and/or contructed of hardened materials. Blower/turbo engines are a little more forgiving because the engine is always under some level of boost, but heat is a big concern, therefore an excellent cooling system is recommended and the tune must be right on. A naturally aspirated engine generally makes more power with increasing RPM...and certainly most high performance small block 302-311cid engines must wind up 6000-9000 RPM to see 400+rwhp. Again, support systems like cooling, oiling, and highly accurate balancing are going reduce the stain on the block.

All that said, YES, you can take a stock 302HO block and produce 450+rwhp, however, precision machining, balancing, attention to support systems, hardened materials, and proper tuning will go a long way towards extending the life of the block.