460 Conversion

I wouldn't think it would be a terrible swap. I'd be more concerned about all the weight over the front.

What gets me is why people freak out if someone thinks outside the box. Look at what early hot rodders did, now if there's not a swap kit everyone says its the work of the devil. I've seen a 460 in a early Fox YEARS ago.

Hell, 429/460's should be plentiful in JY's. Clean up the stock heads a bit and theres your cheap torque monster.

• Sponsors (?)

95snoozer said:
well, you build your 460 and I will build my little 302 and then we can run :nice:

Very true that a smallblock built right with the appropriate mods can run 10s but run your smallblock vs the 460 mod for mod and that smallblock will come up short in the HP and especially torque dept....

I say if he wants a 460, go for it....if nothing else it would be different since noone really drops these engines in SN95s. Same reason people drop '03-'04 Cobra modulars in the early Foxes, its not because they can't build horsepower with pushrods engines, they want power & something different, to each his own :nice:

Good to see that someone actually started to back this guy up a bit. I'm interested to know if he ever did it since the original post was so long ago. I would love to see the total price to build some of these stroked turbo sb motors compared to a mild build on a 460. Anyway, I'm seriously considering dropping my 460 from my truck into my 94 stang just to do it, and see what happens. Accufab makes a full swap kit with oil pan, motor mounts and headers. I still remember you all bagging on me when I was talking about converting my sn to a carbed 302 and it's been running great for over a year now, so if this guy wants to see what a ground pounder would feel like in his car I say let him have it... btw, if any of you have seen the 1994 ford racing boss 429 car running 10.10's on all motor and a 3 speed auto you would understand his feelings...

One thing to think about...my stock 429SCJ bottom end will take alot more nitrous than an stock 302 bottom end......Motor mounts are the same as fox motor mounts. For front accessories there are kits out there. As far as cost for cylinder heads the best sbf heads V/S the best BBF heads-the cost is about the same for the power level. Port work is port work. They don't just charge hundreds more because it is a bbf.

The price difference isn't as big as some are describing, until you start talking about gas. A very mild build on a 460 (fresh bottom end, ported heads, cam) could easily put an SN95 into the 11's. The more you do, the smaller that time gets. This post is an example of why you see BB Chevy's roasting most everyone at your average strip. For some reason, most people are scared of the 460. If I was going to build an all out drag car, it would be a moderately built 460BB with a 2-stage 250 shot. I'm sorry, but your not going to touch that with any 302/331/347 combo without crossing your fingers in prayer that you don't pop it half way through the run. You could build a 351W based set-up to produce comparable numbers, but the 460BB still has a higher ceiling. As for needing a badass tranny to handle all the power...

Isn't that a good thing???

Oh, and notice the powerplant in my boat below. It makes 190+hp w/ only half of a 460 w/ 1980 technology lol (460 head, pistons, rods, etc., Mercruiser block, crank, cam). I've priced decent heads, trying to find an aluminum piece for it, and found some used for $500-800 a set, about the same that people want for Windsor heads.
Brandon

if you do the 460 conversion which is very possible, make sure you do alot of body work as in strength wise and also I have seen the C6 take all kinds of abuse with motors make 800+ that is NA. A C6 can handle the power if it is built right. Dont buy aftermarket C6 find one out of a junk yard have it rebuilt by a compitant Tranny builder and it will glide but if you want to go with something non ford I would suggest the powerglide very nice tranny also.

There is soooooo much BS floating around in this thread its rediculous. BIG BLOCKS ARE NOT EXPENSIVE TO MOD, THERE ARE TONS OF AFTERMARKET PARTS READILY AVAILABLE FOR THEM. Even though my car is a 91 hatch, building the motor is essentially the same. Aftermarket heads cost around $1800 a set, assembled, ported they're good for up to 800hp, more for better ones like blue thunders. My whole build cost around $6500, N/A im expecting only 450rwhp and 500+ ft.-lb torque, i can still throw boost or N2O at it and get ~700hp before i have to start thinking about stock crankshaft integrity. If any of you have any questions about the 385 series motors, I'd be happy to clear up the BS.

I was also told to stay away from the 460 and keep the 302 and just add a S/C like every other person in the 5.0 talk section. I wanted something different and i built it, very happy with the outcome. Nobody else around here has anything like it and when i take the hood off, people are just awe-struck. Its nice having that kind of feeling of accomplishment.

Heres a movie of my whole swap process:

http://www.northcoastmusclecar.com/CCV/BBFoxProject.wmv

Wow, I'd love to do a 460 in my car. It's the ultimate. Just pull a 460 out of a 70 Lincoln, and it's like 450-460 hp. Put some heads on it and get outta the way.
Did we all forget about this car. Kinda shows that they CAN fit under a decant hood. Custom efi intake, but still.....
boss5.jpg

boss6.jpg

Ran 10's on those tires.
Granted, this is a BOSS, but that just made it harder to get it in.
This is the ultimate SN-95 for me...

I'm doing a 460 also. http://www.keithcraft.com/our_engines.html
i'm thinking of doing the 514 comp crate engine. $12K and that i believe is complete. 800hp with 700TQ. Toss on a NX sho shark 400 hp kit and be done.. Build those small blocks, but they can't touch big blocks. "there is no replacment for displacement" Can't be said enough.. Although they are way better on gas mileage. It depends on the owner on what to do not what everyone else think he/she should do.

Yeah, this year the Cobra will be done, and after my next deployment the new project is a BB car. I'm thinkin' 429 CJ in a '95 V-6 car, and I have no problem with cutting a hole in the hood for an 8-71 (gotta love the 3 B's, Blown Big Block).

Glad some sense came into this thread. It's possible, and building a mean big block isn't all THAT much more expensive than building a smallblock that will handle that kind of power reliably... Typical Smallblock guys, they fear the BB. Granted, in the Pro class at WFC the power adders were holding their own with the BB guys, but the fact that the BB cars were running N/A against the power adder Small block cars and running in the 6s shows you the potential of the bigger displacement motors..

Besides, I will like being able to shut up most Mullet wearers and ricers alike by simply popping the hood....

I guess I'll bring this old thread back to life. For those who say that the big 460 won't fit under the stock hood....
94GTBigBlock017.jpg

b5dc1ab2.jpg

d1cfe536.jpg

:eek:

I bought this recently off of ebay (when will I learn to stay away from there? LOL!!). The previous owner had done all of this. It fits under the stock hood with the blanket removed. I don't like that type of air filter, but it lets it fit under the hood quite well. I don't know how it runs yet, but I'll be getting it the rest of the way done soon and let you all know how it goes. It's a 460 with a c6 and a pretty healthy fuel system to run the 750 cfm carb and nitrous system. I'll get the thing running and to the strip before I attempt to finish the N2O setup. The p.o. said it should add about 200 hp or so pretty easily. It would be/should be street legal, but I probably won't worry about that for awhile anyway. I think it was Bill Murray on the movie "Stripes" that said "This looks like it might be fun" :banana:

Attachments

• 94GTBigBlock017.jpg
    94GTBigBlock017.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 84
  • b5dc1ab2.jpg
    b5dc1ab2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 87
  • d1cfe536.jpg
    d1cfe536.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 107
v6v8swap said:
I guess I'll bring this old thread back to life. For those who say that the big 460 won't fit under the stock hood....

b5dc1ab2.jpg

:eek:
:nice: I've always liked the 429/460, used to have one in a 76 T-bird.

Though I must ask, why do the plugs look easier to change than my 5.0L :bang:

Attachments

• b5dc1ab2.jpg
    b5dc1ab2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 491
Man that's badass!:D A friend of mine has a 460 that he wants to give me if I will put it in mine! I don't know how much work is involved though. I know ya'll hate chevy's but I'm about to put a 454 in my other car. Depending on how that works out I may think about the 460. If somebody doesn't know what the attraction is to having a big block then they've never had one or ridden in a car that had one! :)

Those front-mounted engine supports allow the engine to sit 1 - 2" lower than regular side motor mounts would. They are deffinetly the way to go for BB swaps. Can't wait to start planing out mine :rolleyes:

Dosn't Holley still make the "Pro-Jection" FI setup that replaces the carb? That would be the way to go to stop the whining about not being FI.

The fuel economy really is based on the amount of power made, not the size of the engine. A 2.3 turbo making 300hp has the same fuel requirements as a 5.0/NA making 300hp. I have spent the last 10 years playing with 2.3's. We used (and needed) the Mustang 190/255lph fuel pumps. At 300hp, though, that lil 2.3 is maxed out with OE parts. Just like a 5.0 would be at 500hp. The 460 would just be getting started at 500hp. I'm not saying that you can't make more than 300(2.3) or 500(5.0), just that it starts getting really expensive to go beyond those levels.

A 500hp 460 would prolly idle at 800-900 rpm, pull 15-18 inches of vacuum and actually LIKE sitting in traffic with the A/C on. Try THAT with your worked over 5.0.

I say "MORE SN95/460 BULDS!!!!!!" I don't want one. I just think it's cool to see them. Ford obviously thinks enough about them in SN95's to sell engine mounts and stuff for them.