460 stang

Cavcloser29

Jan 20, 2004
Akron
I just got my Mustang not to long ago, just like eveyone else i want to make it faster, duh. I eventually want to put a 460 cu engine in her. How many Hp is that and how many liters? Also is this possible and how much will it run me$$? (this is in the future unfortunately :( )

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search for posts by kidott. He has a big block stang. A 460 is 7.4 liters. It only makes about 230 or so hp in truck form but it is 380lbs of torque at like 2 rpms.

Be planned to spend some money on all the swap hardware and a good rebuild. BB's are more expensive than small blocks to build.

For a nice healthy 460 could be in the 500-600hp range without outrageous parts. Not only that they will handle a 200 shot with no problem. Weight and traction are going to be big issues, glass hood, aluminum heads and tubular cross member will help. With all of that weight on the nose, traction can be an issue. A mini tub setup might be an answer for you.

BTW when you do do it, make your life easier get everything balanced and get a good damper like an ATI super damper.

Cavcloser29 said:
I just got my Mustang not to long ago, just like eveyone else i want to make it faster, duh. I eventually want to put a 460 cu engine in her. How many Hp is that and how many liters? Also is this possible and how much will it run me$$? (this is in the future unfortunately :( )

have a 460 in my 79.

Spent about $800 for the swap parts. (headers, oil pan, mounts) alone.
Right now the engine is stock 77 PI 460 with a 750 Holley, Hooker SC headers and two glasspacks hanging out back. Stock Ignition. Carter Strip Fuel Pump.

It is a beast as is. Have taken it for a couple test rides and it has no friggin traction. Plan on a weiand stealth and gasket matched heads w/ some porting to be done by spring. ET Streets and some steelies in there too. I think it will hold me over until I take care of the traction issue.

Here is some prices I paid:

Complete engine and C6: $315.00
Double-Hump crossmember: $35.00
Swap parts: ~800.00
Rear-end and Brake system off a 96 Cobra $1000.00 (overpayed IMO for that stuff)
Brand new driveshaft: around $250 or so.
96 Cobra rims w/ tires: $375 one was bent +$80 for straightening
HD Al rad.: $180
Then there is all the other little things that I don't want to add up and things I am forgetting.
(wires, plugs, alt., etc.....)

My biggest prob. was hood clearance. I don't want to run a 4" cowl hood. www.bigblockfox.com fixed that since a spacer kit is available to drop the k-member giving a 1.5" of clearance. Should be just enough to fit under my stock hood. (still waiting for the kit)

I put most of it together and came to the conclusion that I had made a big mistake. Then it fired up. :eek: Made my month. Then I put the driveshaft in and took it for a quick spin. Made it all worth while.

Check out D&D, Kaufmann Products (think they are out of business but still have prices up) and www.bigblockfox.com for tons of into. I am sure there are other sites.

I used the FMS solid mounts. The webbing on the upper bellhouse of the C6 hit at first, but some massaging with a hammer and there were no problems. The headers were tight and required some more massaging off the firewall. I really beat the **** out of that tunnel wall though to make sure it went in the first time though since I was by myself. But once in it looks like it was always there.

IS there any way you can bolt a 5 speed to a 460? Do they make and adapter plate or something? I've been looking for a 351 windsor forever a 460 must be like finding gold around here.

I cant even imagine how many miles to the gallon you get with a 460? 7.5 liters is sweet. I saw a stock looking LX with an 83 looking hood scoop and a 460 in it. It was for sale about 2 weeks ago in Elizabethtown PA. What a sleeper.

TrophyHead said:
IS there any way you can bolt a 5 speed to a 460? Do they make and adapter plate or something? I've been looking for a 351 windsor forever a 460 must be like finding gold around here.

I cant even imagine how many miles to the gallon you get with a 460? 7.5 liters is sweet. I saw a stock looking LX with an 83 looking hood scoop and a 460 in it. It was for sale about 2 weeks ago in Elizabethtown PA. What a sleeper.

Look for a 460 truck engine to get a belhousing or an old 460 TOP loader 4speed bell housing. I am not sure if they will bolt to a T5, but a tremed may bolt to the toploader bell housing.