4cyl NOTCHBACK conversion

CONCRETEWARFARE

Apr 8, 2005
NEW YORK
I am debating on whether or not I want to convert a 4 clylinder notchback to a v8 for race purposes. The only thing that is really holding me up is the brake system. Some people say you have to swap to a v8 system and others say they just skipped that step. For those who have done the 4cylinder to v8 conversion how well does the 4 cylinder brake system hold up to the v8. This is the only thing that would stop me from doing the conversion so thats why im posting this. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

the way i look at it is the 4cyl brakes are for 4cyl speed, why are you going to **** around with your investment and most importantly with your life. i am in the process of a 4cyl coversion. im changing the front spindles to 8cyl spindles and 73mm calipers. i am changing the brake booster and master cylinder too. this isnt the best brake system but its hella alot better than stock 4cly. like we all know fox body mustangs dont stop for ****.:D

All I did was put 5 lug Ranger Rotors on my car when I switched motors. I left the master cylinder and brake booster alone. The 4cyl brake brooster is much small giving me more room to work in there when needed. My car stops good going 127mph or when I drive it daily in stop and go traffic

i used the stock 4 1979 4 cylinder front brakes on my conversion........And I ran a BIG BLOCK........so yes it will stop your car. Also I removed the brake booster and replaced it with an aluminum 1981 spacer that came stock on manual brake systems for the 1981 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder mustang. However........I did install 9" rear drum brakes on it, which I removed and installed the regular 8.8 rear end from a 1990 LX which had a 5.0 engine in it.
WHich by the way is the same size rear drum as a stock 5.0 mustang on certain years!

I dont see it being a problem on a drag car........some people dont see it that way.......but then again I guess they have plenty of money laying around! :D
Jack