4cyl to 5.0 swap

Lawbreaker5.0

Feb 20, 2009
Texas
I've search and cannot come up with an answer. i just finished pulling a motor and wiring harness from a wrecked 91 ssp car. i have a 93 4cyl that i plan on putting the motor and wiring harness in. i need to know if the 91 will work the my 93.

i keep reading 89-91 and so on. i believe the wiring harnesses did change in either 90 or 91 but should be the same through 93 right?

If not i have another 91 gt getting delivered wed so if i have to, i'll pull that crap load of wiring from behind the dash to make it work.

thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

for a 1993 mustang you need a 1992/1993 computer harness(fuel pump relay is under the air meter)
You could always take the complete dash harness and computer harness from the 91 and install it in the 93
86 to 88 uses a 88 California harness or 89 mass air harness
90 uses a 90 harness
91 uses a 91 harness
92/93 use the same harness as long as the fuel pump relay is under the air meter

i'm pretty sure the fuel pump relay was under the air meter in the 91 becuase i remember see that big relay under the meter and thinking wth is this.

If i have to pull the dash wiring harness from the other 91 gt that i'm getting tomorrow which harness is it exactly? Is it the one that connects to the instrument cluster and such? or i'm i going to have to pull wiring harness from the driver kick panel? cuz if so thats a lot of wiring down there and it might be easier to find one on ebay even though they all say 90-93 wiring harness which is bs.

So luckly the 91 hatchback that i bought for parts already has the dash taken out and the wires are exposed and it looks like it will be an easy pull. I'm now wondering how the fuel pump relay will play into factor since i see it is under the seat. Do i need to pull that wiring harness as well? Also do i need to pull any wires from the drivers kick panel or just the one behind the dash and the one with the fuel pump relay?

Thanks

If it was me I would try to find a 92/93 5.0 computer harness first,If I couldn't I would change out the complete harness from the 91 Mustang.Which would include the dash,computer and the fuel pump harness under the drivers seat.You will also need the front light harness off the 1991,keep in mind you will also need the fuel lines,tank(because of the v8 pump) exhaust hangers,p/s cooling line,and the speedo cluster to name a few stuff.The dash wires will unplug from other wires in the drivers kick panel,I would take some pictures of the dash wires in the 91 before you start taking it apart in case you run into a problem.

My swap was a 1992 GT parts car going into a 1991 LX 4cyl. I used all the engine and trans harness and ECM from the 1992 with the 1991 dash harness, this includes the harness that goes through the firewall to the starter selenoid also. It fire right up.

FYI....get the V8 headlight harness too because it has the alternator plugs in it. The alternator plugs on the V8 are on the passender side of the harness. The alternator plugs on the 4cyl are on the drivers side.

cool. i grabed the alternator wiring harness from the 91 ssp car the other day. So do i need the headlight harness? I'm gonna search the around for the 92/93 computer harness, and if all else fails switch over everything from the 91.

thanks ya'll