5.0 and 4.6 test runs

meade01

Apr 4, 2005
I was wondering if anyone has any info as far as the numbers on the track that a stock 95 GT with a 5.0 ran and a stock 96 GT with a 4.6 ran with the same type transmissions. I picked these because they are the same body style. I just want to see if one is noticable better than the other.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm about to (with a friend) run a test between a bone stock 95 Gt and bone stock 98 Gt (both 5spd coupes within 5,000 miles of each other).

We are going to simulate the same weight driver and go from a 2000rpm 1st gear roll to take out the "take-off" advantage that one of us drivers might get over the other. Were going to run power vs. power and shift...and then were going to swap cars...they both have 308 gears to:nice: So the test should be pretty accurate. I think it will be a "drivers race"...

5spd GT said:
I'm about to (with a friend) run a test between a bone stock 95 Gt and bone stock 98 Gt (both 5spd coupes within 5,000 miles of each other).

We are going to simulate the same weight driver and go from a 2000rpm 1st gear roll to take out the "take-off" advantage that one of us drivers might get over the other. Were going to run power vs. power and shift...and then were going to swap cars...they both have 308 gears to:nice: So the test should be pretty accurate. I think it will be a "drivers race"...

:nice: Hope you keep us posted.

Blue1 said:
If the '95 5.0 is the same as the 5.0 in the '91s, it will p*ss all over the 4.6. The 4.6 were down on HP slightly, but considerably down on torque.

Blue1

I'd disagree, I also own a 91 LX 5.0 and it runs pretty much the same times as my 98' [when it was stock] My 89' LX[sold], was also very similar, but my 5.0's spun more off the line, losing the torque and weight advantage that they have and they have to play catch-up.
96' vs 95' =same hp, same weight, with the torque edge going to the 5.0

Blue1 said:
If the '95 5.0 is the same as the 5.0 in the '91s, it will p*ss all over the 4.6. The 4.6 were down on HP slightly, but considerably down on torque.

Blue1

ahh this is just flat out wrong. the 4.6 NPI was about = in HP to a stock 5.0 the 89-93's were faster than a early 4.6 because of the weight difference.

and a PI 4.6 will waste a stock 5.0 even with the PI car being heaver because the PI 4.6 dynos about 40 HP more than a stock 89-93 5.0

I love the old 5.0 and i will say it is a way better platform too build from but lets stick too facts here. not just favoritism

MikeZ28 said:
ahh this is just flat out wrong. the 4.6 NPI was about = in HP to a stock 5.0 the 89-93's were faster than a early 4.6 because of the weight difference.

and a PI 4.6 will waste a stock 5.0 even with the PI car being heaver because the PI 4.6 dynos about 40 HP more than a stock 89-93 5.0

I love the old 5.0 and i will say it is a way better platform too build from but lets stick too facts here. not just favoritism
As per usual Mike, I'd have to agree with you. Well said!!

Just another point to bring up.....the '94GT and '96-'98GT's don't use the same transmissions either. Even if it's auto for auto, and stick for stick, they've got different ratio's. The 5.0L car used an AOD-E, where the 4.6L car uses a 4R70W. The 5.0L 5-speed as a T-5 and the 4.6L 5-speed is a T-45. So you see, you not only have horsepower and weight to contend with while running these tests, but slight differences transmission gearing and ratio's as well. :)

Alright I figured I would update this post.

We finally ran a 98 gt (5spd) and 94 gt (5spd) last night.

98 GT - Prochamber/stock 3:27 gears.
94 GT - 3:08's, a bit better driver, and slightly lighter weight driver. 10-20 lb difference on drivers.

Started from a street roll (5mph).

98 Gt started pull immediately and put 1.5 cars on the 94 gt by 70-75mph.

Just a FYI.

5spd GT said:
Alright I figured I would update this post.

We finally ran a 98 gt (5spd) and 94 gt (5spd) last night.

98 GT - Prochamber/stock 3:27 gears.
94 GT - 3:08's, a bit better driver, and slightly lighter weight driver. 10-20 lb difference on drivers.

Started from a street roll (5mph).

98 Gt started pull immediately and put 1.5 cars on the 94 gt by 70-75mph.

Just a FYI.

Thanks for the update!! That's good to know!