5.0 Efi ?

6Stang7

Jun 1, 2003
Livermore, CA
can the upper intake and the rest of the efi set up off a 5.0 be used on a 351W? i cant remember if the lower intake for a 302 is the same as a 351. i know that the firing order used on the 5.0 is the same as the 351W's.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, but not the lower intake. Because of the taller deckheight of the 351, the heads sit farther apart. So the lower intake on 351's is a little bit wider than the 302.

ya, thats what i thought. all the wiring is the same right? i'm gonna take the efi stuff off a 87 GT and place it on the 67. after 67 is done, then i am going to get a 351W from a neighboor of mine and build that up. i'd like to take the efi off my car at that point and place it on the 351.

Yeah the wiring doesn't care what block you're running, none of the wiring actually goes to anyting on the block. If you have a lower intake designed for a 351 efi then it'll work just fine. The only thing I can think of that plugs into the lower is the air temperature sensor and the dash coolant temp sensor. Everything else is ignition, fuel, upper intake or perepherial emissions or otherwise off the engine stuff.

When I purchased my used 351 block (from a 80s Bronco) the lower intake ports were shaped/spaced differently than the 302 ports. Make sure you can find a 351 lower to match to the upper. I don't know if there are any. Aftermarket intakes would be alot better for the air demands of the 351, if the budget allows.

The thing that can really kick your butt though is the camshaft. Some years of 351w used a different firing order than the HO 302. You wont make much power when the ignition timing doesn't match the valve timing.