5.0 Engine build suggestions?

fiacco819

Aug 30, 2009
New york
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the mustang fan club. Just yesterday I purchased my first v8,(was originally a tuner guy) and love the decision I made. I'm a college student that has to re-build an engine in class and figured this car would be the perfect build. So I just need some suggestions and tips on what the do/purchase when I rebuild. My price budget is about $800-$1000 and am not interested in super modding it, just simple stuff that will make a difference.

So here's what I bought:
Its a 1989 mustang 4cyl body. Engine and tranny were swapped with a 1984 mustang 5-speed. A visual lookover shows it has an edelbrock Carb, aftermarket headers, upgraded ignition system. Bought the car for $800 and it was on the road, runs, drives, and burns some serious rubber.

Here's what I plan to do as of now:
*Bore over to a 306
*Replace head bolts
*Main seal, all gaskets
*Plugs, wires, cap and rotor
*Maybe a cam if I find a decently cheap for my application

5696_119200441148_591811148_2463074.jpg

View attachment 247351

• Sponsors (?)

If you're doing all of the machine work yourself, look into a stroker of some sort. You can find cast crank, forged rod, forged piston kits for under $1000 (something like this, or this). Don't let a cast crank scare you, they'll very likely outlast the block. Sounds like you practically stole that car! :nice: